Official GIGABYTE Forum

Messed up a chipset inf install during fresh win7 install, major damage?

Dave997

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I reinstalled windows 7 tonight and i did a intel chipset inf install before i installed the Intel Management program or whatever it is. When I came to the last screen of the install (it seem like it installed the inf files) my screen went black, all my fans went to like 100% and stayed there till i hard powered off. When I rebooted my bios said something like "You have failed an overclock, default bios values will be loaded" and then went back into windows without a problem.

It wouldnt let me reinstall the inf files on that OS installation (and i wasnt sure how to see if they were installed, i assumed they werent because of what happened), so I reinstalled windows 7 again. This time i made sure to install the Intel Management program before updating the chipset inf files, everything went fine then.

The only side effect I can see as far as the system behaving abnormally is that my DVD drive spins very loud now. Like jet engine loud almost. It definatly didnt do that before.  I ran my Windows Experience Index test and everything came out to 7.9 perfect score, so i dont think any major damage occured other than my DVD being screwed up possibly. Is there any way to fix it in a setting or do I need to replace it? And what if any other damage could be caused by a bad inf file install like mentioned above?

edit: i just installed battlefield 3 from CD rom and it was QUIET as a tit mouse whispering in a library. I dont get how it can go to sounding like a jet engine when i had my Gigabyte driver CD in to barely any audible noise at all when im installing BF3 off disc, very weird.

TL DR: Does doing a botched chipset inf installation that causes black screen and fans to go 100% till hard powered off do any major damage to the system?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 11:32:42 am by Dave997 »