Official GIGABYTE Forum

Help! I need the USB sockets to Power Down with the Motherboard - GA-EP45T-DS3R

Hi folks,

I just bought a "Standby Saver", 6 way adapter for my computer system.

It detects when a PC powers down by sensing when its USB power switches off.

It then cuts mains power to the PC and all other plugged in peripherals until a special button is pressed to start it all up again.
http://www.standby-saver.co.uk/UserFiles/File/Ecotek_SS_USB_Instructions3.pdf

Trouble is, I've found that my USB sockets remain powered after my PC is 'Shut Down'.
 (Gigabyte  GA-EP45T-DS3R Motherboard)

I've spent a day so far looking for a solution. Has anyone solved this with any Gigabyte motherboard bought in recent years without resorting to the soldering iron?

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Hi

The problem here is I think insurmountable. The thing is the feature of the newer boards is that they will supply power through the USB ports even when the computer is off. I can't think of any way short of switching off the power manually to stop it.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

OK, thanks. I'm disappointed that this can't be controlled in the BIOS, or at least with a motherboard jumper.

But I've had an idea for a hardware modification that I think should work, but I'd really appreciate any help:

I think the source of power to the motherboard when the PC is 'Shut Down' is from the ATX 20 pin connector pin called +5VSB.

So if I remove the lead from my PSU to this connector pin then no power will be supplied to the mothertboard when it's 'Shut Down', right?  ???

But perhaps the motherboard needs +5V supplied to that pin whilst the motherboard is powered up?  ???

If so, the +5VSB pin could be connected to the adjacent +5V pin, if the PSU can supply sufficient current?  ???

Any help with the three questions  ??? above would be much apreciated :-)

Here's a picture of the ATX connector:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a9/ATX_PS_signals.jpg

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Yes, I see where you are going from here and in theory at least it should work.  I am just not sure that bypassing the supply will be enough. :-\
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

OK, thanks. I think I need a PSU expert!

It would be great if motherboard manufacturers provided a BIOS or jumper switch to enable full power down on 'Shut Down' in future designs!

Hi,

I'm also having the same problem here with a GA-M68MT-S2 board. I've just bought one of the Standby Saver strips and again can't get the thing to power down...

Does any one know if I add a PCI card with USB ports on if those will power down when the system shuts down?

I need to be able to get this working somehow - previously I used one of the standby savers but it looks like the power draw of the PSU in my PC is insufficient to accurately switch the power on and off!

On a related matter, I'm having problems getting the PC to sleep - it keeps waking up about 5-10 seconds after it sleeps. The Windows logs report a power on event but don't identify a source. I've tried disabling WOL, Keyboard & Mouse but no luck...?

Andy