GA-X79-UD3 , Boot Loop From new.
« on: April 28, 2012, 07:47:35 pm »
Hi,
A Couple Days ago I took delivery of a GA-X79-UD3 and i7-3820
with 4 x 4gb ripjaws memory
700watt psu
ati 6950

But I've been unable to power it on.

once connected with everything, I press the power button, the fans all come on, Then after about 3-5seconds it switches off and restarts .

There are no Beeps, And it doesn't even post.

I have removed it from the case and tried it outside of the case and its the same.
initially I thought it was my RAM as it was dual channell 1866 and when i removed the RAM it the power stayed on. So I ordered some new RAM matching the QVL... and its exactly the same, i have tried it in 1 slot.

Everything works fine in my old rig.

its extremely frustrating. I suspect it may be faulty motherboard.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: GA-X79-UD3 , Boot Loop From new.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 09:59:57 pm »
Hi

I would suggest making sure that you have thje latest motherboard BIOS installed. Use QFlash if you need to upgrade rather than @BIOS though as it is much safer.

If you still have a problem try running just one stick of memory to start with and see if that works.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 10:34:43 pm »
I've been doing it with 1 stick of ram.

and its not possible to update the bios if i can't get into the bios, its not posting at all.

I'm wondering if 700watt is enough ? the manual says minimum 500watt... so in theory 700 should be enough but what does anyone else think ?

I have tried the remioving the battery and clearing CMOS as well.

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 04:20:39 pm »
Hey Jonnyquality, looks like i have the same problem as you!

Ive just finished building a nw machine with a GA-X79-UD3 motherboard and an Intel i7-3820. But instead Im using Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz DD3 Ram (2x4GB). When i power on the machine, the processor and graphics card fans spin up for about 10 seconds and then the machine powers off and restarts, then powers back on for 10 secs and then off again in a loop. The only way to stop it powering off is to remove all th RAM like you did. But i see you've tried new memory to now avail, so i dont think its the RAM. Ive read on Gigabytes site that only BIOS version F8 and above supports the i7-3820, but then ive also read many peopleusing older BIOSs have got this processor working. On my motherboard box it does say "now with new F7 or later BIOS" - but same as you, i cannot ge to the BIOS to check he version or update it.

Have you had any joy since your post? Id be intereted to knnow if you got yours working and what you did to fix it.

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 05:13:31 pm »
Hi,
   I'm afraid I didnt get anywhere,

Funnily enough people keep saying do a bios upgrade, Chaps... read between the lines, You can't do a bios upgrade if you can't get it to the bios.

I got lucky once and did Bios upgrade, Tried it in the case, out of the case, tried 2 differernt Heatsinks (Why I'll never know.) 3 Different Graphics cards. a New Set of Memory ... etc... and it simply wouldn;t work.

It was possible if removed the battery for a few minutes and cleared the CMOS to get the POST screen, but after about 3 minutes it the UEFI would run slower and slower and then it would shutdown. (Got this to happen about 3 times. inbetwen days of boot cycles.)

the support i was offered took 3-5 days and I only had 7 days to get it working (under distance selling regulations with the reseller) so gave up and returned it.

The Motherboard I got from ASUS, worked instantly out of the box with now issues what soever with all the same pieces of hardware.

...it's ironic, because 7 months ago I went with Gigabyte with my AMD Bulldozer chips because the ASUS motherbaord I received was DOA. this time its the other way around.

i did suspect that the power supply wasn't man enough at one stage, but it was 700 watt. and the handbook says 500watt even the latest online manual still said 500 watt. Even using rig building sites, it said that I shouldn't need more than 434 watts...

All works fine with the new ASUS motherboard , so I can only deduce it was faulty.

If anyone ever gets this issue, it would be interesting to see what it is, or whethere there is a faulty batch or compatiblity issue with the i7-3820...

P.S. the i7-3820 is solid as a rock for its money, so glad i went with a socked 2011 motherboard !

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 05:47:18 pm »
Hi,
   I'm afraid I didnt get anywhere,

Funnily enough people keep saying do a bios upgrade, Chaps... read between the lines, You can't do a bios upgrade if you can't get it to the bios.

I got lucky once and did Bios upgrade, Tried it in the case, out of the case, tried 2 differernt Heatsinks (Why I'll never know.) 3 Different Graphics cards. a New Set of Memory ... etc... and it simply wouldn;t work.

It was possible if removed the battery for a few minutes and cleared the CMOS to get the POST screen, but after about 3 minutes it the UEFI would run slower and slower and then it would shutdown. (Got this to happen about 3 times. inbetwen days of boot cycles.)

the support i was offered took 3-5 days and I only had 7 days to get it working (under distance selling regulations with the reseller) so gave up and returned it.

The Motherboard I got from ASUS, worked instantly out of the box with now issues what soever with all the same pieces of hardware.

...it's ironic, because 7 months ago I went with Gigabyte with my AMD Bulldozer chips because the ASUS motherbaord I received was DOA. this time its the other way around.

i did suspect that the power supply wasn't man enough at one stage, but it was 700 watt. and the handbook says 500watt even the latest online manual still said 500 watt. Even using rig building sites, it said that I shouldn't need more than 434 watts...

All works fine with the new ASUS motherboard , so I can only deduce it was faulty.

If anyone ever gets this issue, it would be interesting to see what it is, or whethere there is a faulty batch or compatiblity issue with the i7-3820...

P.S. the i7-3820 is solid as a rock for its money, so glad i went with a socked 2011 motherboard !

Thanks Jonny
At least that cleared that up. Ive been looking at alternative Mobo's from Asus as a fallback in cas i cannot get the X79-UD3 working. I've ordered some more memory. I originally have Corsair Vengeance but have ordered some Curicial Ballistix instead. If that doesnt work then i've got my eye on the Asus P9X79 Pro motherboard which I think is pretty evenly matched to the Gigabyte one. Out of interest, which new Asus mobo did you get? Thanks again for the reply. Its true how people are saying to upgade the BIOS when you cant even get into the BIOS. oh well...

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 12:31:15 pm »
I Went for the Asus P9X79 Pro as well.

And to be honest it supports more memory slots as well, so Suits me fine. ...

..knock on wood, no issues yet and Overclocking couldn't be easier.

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 08:56:43 pm »
I Went for the Asus P9X79 Pro as well.

And to be honest it supports more memory slots as well, so Suits me fine. ...

..knock on wood, no issues yet and Overclocking couldn't be easier.

Asus P9X7( Pro too eh?.. well great minds think alike ;)

BTW, i got my GA-X79-UD3 working in the end. Following some advice i took the CMOS battery out for an hour, replaced it, and it posted no problem at all. I then flashed it to F10 from its current F7. Never had to remove the CMOS battery on a mobo in the past so never even thought of that. everything looks stable now so fingers crossed i wont have the swap boards. I like the look of the P9X79 a lot, and if i had both boxed and uinstalled then id use it... but prefer to avoid the inconvenience of sending a board back and being without.

Cheers mate.

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 08:52:58 am »
same looping problem here!
I removed the battery overnight as suggested, but just tried it now and nothing!

PLEASE there must be a solution to this, why are they shipping them like this?

my new kit is:-
Intel Core i7-3820 3.60GHz (Sandybridge-E) Socket LGA2011 Processor - Retail   

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560Ti OC WindForce 2X 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Gigabyte X79-UD3 Intel X79 (Socket 2011) DDR3 Motherboard

Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4x2GB) DDR3 PC3-19200C11 2400MHz Dual/Quad Channel Kit   

Antec Sonata IV Quiet Case - Black (620W PSU)

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO cooling

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

F9V

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 03:19:49 pm »
Same thing happened to me... I 've tried to remove the battery for two hours but nothing!
PS: I've written a post like this, 4-5 topic down

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 05:51:40 pm »
OK mine is sorted!! WooHoo

You have to connect the TWO 12v ATX connectors from the PSU to the socket on the mobo, connecting the 24 pin main mobo power connector is not enough!

Page 23 of the motherboard manual (english) says "if the 12v power connector is not connected, the computer will not start"

Worked for me, hope it helps anyone else reading this. I cannot believe I dod not connect them!
Cheers