Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z68AP-D3 rev 2.0 Fails to cold boot

Z68AP-D3 rev 2.0 Fails to cold boot
« on: April 28, 2012, 11:28:15 pm »
Hello Forum, first I'd like to say I am very excited about my third build in 12 years and are happy with my results minus one problem and I do not know where the issue lies within the BIOS. I've always purchased ASUS-tek mainboards but for this latest build the price for this board was too good to pass up so I figured it was time to give GIGABYTE a try. I have googled till I can't google no more so this is my last resort, I'm still within 15 days to return my board but I really do not want to.

The issue is after my computer sits up overnight and I power it on for the first time in the morning it acts like it is booting, the splash screen comes up but then I notice it's been up for awhile like its hanging and then it finally goes away and blank screen-fans runnings so i have to power it off. I then go to power on again and same thing so rinse and repeat but this time lets try to get in the BIOS, nope cant even get into BIOS. finally after about 4 or 5 manual restarts i can get into the BIOS and get a message about due to overclocking/overvoltages caused this error. My CPU isnt OCed due to its a i2700 and everything in the BIOS is set to AUTO minus HPET mode is set to 64bit from default 32bit (Win7 64), Init Display First is set to PCIE x16 from default PCI (GTX260+), Onboard VGA is set to Enable if No Ext PEG from default Auto, Performance Enhance is set to Standard from default Turbo and last but not least Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) is set to Profile 1 from default Disabled (Patriot PXD34G2133ELK XMP memory). Those are the only settings that have been changed in the BIOS. I have a feeling my Memory is causing this issue but I do not know what to do. Can anyone help me out with my situation? My build listing is below;

Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 (rev. 2.0) BIOS FD
Intel i2700
4GB Patriot 2133Mhz XMP memory
BFG GTX260+ vidcard
BFG 1000W PS

Forgot to mention, I can restart Windows all day and not have this issue, I can even shut down, wait up to 2 hours and it will fire back up however anything over 2 hours and it fails to boot.

Re: Z68AP-D3 rev 2.0 Fails to cold boot
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 07:51:44 pm »
Well good news this morning. Board fired up no problem (sat overnight 7+ hrs), I got to thinking about this and forgot that I had changed the Performance Enhance memory setting from "Turbo" to "Standard" for the last changed after loading optimized defaults and I believe thats what did it. Will report back in a day or so.

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 06:59:07 am »
Well good news, looks like I have no boot issues, looks like XMP spd just doesn't like to run in turbo or extreme, idk. I'm a happy camper though and love this new board, hope I get a few years out of it.

Fatman

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 11:45:30 pm »
Glad you got your issue sorted......Well done!  ;)