Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK keeps rebooting itself, dosn't POST - help!

tbessie

GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK keeps rebooting itself, dosn't POST - help!
« on: October 06, 2014, 07:39:17 am »
I just did a new build with a GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK and a i5-4690K (Haswell Refresh, Devil's Canyon) cpu.  When I turn on the power, the board starts up but doesn't POST, doesn't show anything on the screen, and reboots itself after about 5 seconds.  It does this over and over again without stopping.  The speaker does not beep.

When I first got the board, it would POST and go the BIOS if I turned the power off, disconnected the power cord, waited a bit, restarted.  The power-off/on button on the case appeared to have no effect.  Hitting the power button on the motherboard caused it to enter this cycle.

I thought it might be the BIOS, so I updated from F4 to F6.  Now even starting cold doesn't bring up the BIOS.

I pulled the CMOS battery and waited a bit, and reinstalled it.  Same behavior.

I pulled all but the 1st stick of memory (decent Crucial-recommended sticks); same behavior.  Swapped that stick with another; same behavior.

Ran with NO memory, got the beeps expected from that, at least.

The code LED inside gets to 95 (Check PCI device requested resources) and 9A (USB initialization is started) before rebooting.  It seems to alternate between these two codes (though not in any recognizable pattern).

Anyone seen this kind of thing before?  This is new behavior to me, and I've built a lot of computers.

I tried using the "backup BIOS" on the board, but that didn't solve the problem.

- Tim
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 08:21:15 am by tbessie »

tbessie

Re: GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK keeps rebooting itself, dosn't POST - help!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 09:07:55 am »
Well, I tried the one thing I hadn't - I unplugged the case's POWER SWITCH from the front-panel header, and started the system by shorting the power pins with a screwdriver.  The system started and didn't continually reboot; it looks like I might have a faulty case power switch.  Will write to the manufacturer and ask them about that.

- Tim