Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z77X-UD3H rev 1.0 OK in IDE mode, sys drive not a boot option in AHCI mode

Upgraded from a P5B Deluxe that ran in IDE mode.
Samsung HD103SJ 1TB system drive on Intel SATA3_0 - dual boot, partition 0 = XP, partition 2 = Win7.
Samsung HD501LJ 500GB data drive on Intel SATA3_1
LG HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NS30 DATA DVD+-RW on Intel SATA2_4
WDC WD10 EAVS-00D7B1 (external Fantom GreenDrive 1TB backup) on Marvell eSATA3_0.

Everything works fine with both controllers in IDE mode. I have GH22NS30 as 1st boot drive (press any key to boot from CD/DVD), then HD103SJ - select OS: XP or Win7 - defaults to Win7 after 5 seconds.

I made the necessary registry changes to Win7 to run AHCI. I changed both controllers to AHCI in BIOS. HD103SJ is no longer a boot option. Only GH22NS30 and  Fantom GreenDrive are listed, so I can't do an unattended reboot (NTLDR not found). I tried updating BIOS from F5 to F8, no change. It doesn't matter if the Marvell controller is AHCI or IDE - same result. And it doesn't matter if the Fantom GreenDrive is plugged into eSATA3_0 or eSATA3_1.

I can press F12 and manually select to boot from HD103SJ and everything works fine. But I can't define it as the default boot option in BIOS.

What gives?

Thx,
Frogger

Fatman

You will probably need to set the boot order in Bios to boot from that specific drive as first boot.

As I stated, when I change controller to AHCI, " HD103SJ is no longer a boot option." It's even in the subject line.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 01:29:17 pm by Frogger »

Fatman

Lol yeh I didn't read that too good then hehehe

Ok so I deserved a smite for that thankyou!!

I have Raid setup on my board and I can see that to set as the boot..But as I don't have your board I figured you could also do that. But I guess not.