Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, booting error.

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, booting error.
« on: May 08, 2012, 08:14:29 am »
Hey Guys,

i've had a problem recently with my Pc after i changed the slots that my ram was in.

This PC was my first build and i did it about 6-8 months ago. i like to keep my personal things in my PC case, things like bank pins and stuff and on saturday i went in there to get my pin code out and noticed my ram was plugged into the white slots. little did i know that they are actually supposed to be in the white lanes i took them out and changed them thinking i had set it up wrong.
The reason i did this is because i have had a few BSODs since building it and in a hasty decision i thought that could've been the problem.
Once i had all the ram in the blue slots i attempted to boot up the computer but it didnt work, after re-reading the manual i realised the ram was in the correct slots all along and replaced them. but now the same thing is happening.
The Pc attempts to boot but it looks like the MB is doing a check to see if everything is working and it looks like something is going wrong so it stops and all im left with is a green light and an amber light beside the RAM bays. before this happens a red light flashes just between the back of my GPU and the RAM bays and a few lights light up in the top right hand of the board.

im sorry if this seems like a stupid question or a stupid reason to have to ask the question but i need to figure out whether i need to apply for and type of warranty.

cheers guys! :-[
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 11:47:48 am by runn3R »

Re: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, booting error.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 04:15:42 am »
No worries guys i fixed it anyways.
Even though i didnt get a reply :-\ ill post my solution, incase anyone ends up in the same position as me.

This Pc was my first build so when i made it i didnt completely read all the instructions.
Yesterday i completely disassembled my rig and noticed i hadn't even put the riser screws in to elevate the motherboard from the backplate.

Im guessing when I changed the ram into different slots it pushed the MB back slightly and the back of the MB must've been touching the back plate where it shouldn't have been.

Another thing i noticed was that i had my PSU fan facing upwards, towards the inside of my computer when i should've had it facing downwards.
For new PC builders it is quite easy to make this mistake because naturally you'd want the stickers to face upwards so you could read them.
The reason you'd want it to face downwards is because it is usually an induction fan meaning it brings air into it instead of exhaling it.
Keep in mind though, that if your case doesnt have any holes in the bottom for your PSU fan you'd want it to face upwards as it needs to actually be able to breathe.

Even making sure your cable management is as tidy as it can be could help a s***load.

At least i've learned my lesson and im lucky it didnt do any damage where it could've.

Cheers for the great motherboard, mouse and GPU anyway Gigabyte, keep up the good work!

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 11:47:30 am »
Thanks for letting other users know how you fixed it
ZX-S & C64 are still my favourites ;-)

Fatman

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 12:09:19 pm »
Rest assured, No-Body gets it right all the time and we all make simple oversights. Your just lucky you didn't fry your board LOL.