Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-P55-UD6 Problems With eSATA & External HD Enclosure

UD6

GA-P55-UD6 Problems With eSATA & External HD Enclosure
« on: November 24, 2009, 10:16:07 am »
I have an external HD enclosure with USB, Firewire and eSata connection. The enclosure itself can handle IDE and SATA disks. USB, Firewire works problem free. But not so eSATA.

With IDE disks it works problem free with smaller files and eSATA. But if you copy a very big file to the external disk then it never ends. Reading is no problem.

The situation is much clearer when I take a SATA disk. The disk is recognized by the system (BIOS, WinXP SP3) but the explorer does not show any partitions. Only if I use it at my Intel controller it works in eSATA mode. But this controller I need for my RAID disks. So IDE is no option. The several JMicron controllers don't work even if one of them is responsible for the two on-board eSATA ports. IDE or AHCI mode does not make any difference. If the disk is connected directly to the JMicron controllers with SATA there is no problem - with IDE and AHCI.

The motherboard is the GA-P55-UD6.And I have the latest BIOS and drivers.

Does anybody use the eSATA connection to an external HD enclosure with the JMicron? Any ideas what the problem could be?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 10:42:54 am by runn3R »

kangoo

Re: GA-P55-UD6 Problems With eSATA & External HD Enclosure
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 07:31:21 am »
tried with different vendor enclosure? as maybe its some h/w incompability

or just use firewire connection if no any help like newer bios

UD6

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 03:56:03 am »
I tried different boxes. Firewire is no option. I bought the UD6 because of the eSATA on Board. I have the latest drivers and the latest BIOS. Perhaps they made these nice looking yellow ports just for the optic - like the 6 mem slots.

kangoo

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 07:15:35 am »
"Perhaps they made these nice looking yellow ports just for the optic"  :D

try to use win xp sp2 , not sp3 as i noticed in this and many others forums that people have several problems when using sp3

Pottypete

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 11:41:04 am »
HI
I had the same problem on my 965 ds3 mobo with SP3,
Don't know why !
I rolled back to SP2 as kangoo says and it's ok now,
MS don't have a cure either that I can find!
Cheers

UD6

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 02:17:35 pm »
Thank you both a lot for the information. At least I see a reason why it does not work.

But I cannot downgrade my system. This is impossible after such a long time I have been using SP3. And I have other things to do than playing around endless because features do not work. Bad enough that I spent money for the now useless enclosure and for this strange top of the line board.

Gigabyte has to upgrade their drivers/BIOS or give me a hardware that works with WinXP SP3. On the box there were many ads but no hints about problems with WinXP SP3.  ;)

But again - thank you for YOUR support.