Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-EP41-UD3L no sound

GA-EP41-UD3L no sound
« on: August 21, 2014, 12:32:17 pm »
Intel E6300 2.80Ghz Dual Core; Gigabyte GA-EP41-UD3L;  4GB Corsair DDR2;  500W PSU; Windows 7 Professional.

I've just assembled this in a case and made a fresh installation of W7Pro.  Everything is working fine except for the sound.   I'm only using a pair of ordinary speakers (tried two lots, each tested on another system) but can't get any sound out of the Gigabyte system.  I've tried plugging the speakers into both rear and front jacks.

Any ideas please?

Re: GA-EP41-UD3L no sound
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 02:10:00 pm »
The sound level at the motherboard connectors are very low. You need a speaker with built-in amplifier.

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 03:51:58 pm »
The speakers are mains powered.   I guess they have a suitable amplifier for computer outputs as they are designed for that purpose.   I imagine the Gigabyte motherboard has similar sound output properties to the other PCs I have on my office LAN?

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 10:46:56 pm »
Yes, pretty much the same.

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 09:38:24 am »
Yes, pretty much the same.

So, does anybody have any suggestions to solve the problem please?   Windows Device Manager claims that the sound device is working OK!

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 10:33:59 am »
Stupid question but you are plugging the speakers into the green socket on the back of the PC?

What software are you using for audio/video playback?

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 10:44:45 am »
Stupid question but you are plugging the speakers into the green socket on the back of the PC?

What software are you using for audio/video playback?

It is I who's being stupid.   Yes, the speakers are plugged into the green socket on the back.    I haven't, however, installed any audio/video software!  As I bought this motherboard second hand from eBay, it came with no installation disks so I assume I can download the relevant audio software from somewhere?

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 11:26:32 pm »
Check the board revision and load all drivers here: http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/download-center.aspx?kw=ga-ep41-ud3l

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 06:43:58 am »
For most video & audio playback try VLC player which you can download from here: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.en_GB.html

Also, you can check if system sounds are working by right clicking on the speaker icon in the notification area of the taskbar and then clicking on sounds. A popup menu will appear which will give you the system sound scheme, this may be set to none but you can change it or test different sounds to see if audio is working.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 08:03:48 am »

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 08:04:41 am »
For most video & audio playback try VLC player which you can download from here: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.en_GB.html

Also, you can check if system sounds are working by right clicking on the speaker icon in the notification area of the taskbar and then clicking on sounds. A popup menu will appear which will give you the system sound scheme, this may be set to none but you can change it or test different sounds to see if audio is working.
Very helpful - thank you!