Official GIGABYTE Forum

DES2 useless in Win 7 ?

Mark

DES2 useless in Win 7 ?
« on: November 24, 2009, 01:23:07 pm »
This is on a GA-P55-UD6 (not the P55A)

When I first built this system I installed Win XP and tinkered around with DES2 and found that it would switch between 4 phases (when idle) and 24 phases (not idle).

That was a bit of a let-down for me.  No middle ground.  LOTS of graphics, but only two possible states: 4 phase or 24 phase.  I appreciate the power savings, but why use so much screen real-estate to show two states?

Then I installed Windows 7 -- I have 8GB of RAM and XP wasn't designed for it.

Now DES2 shows 24 phases all the time.  Doesn't matter how little is happening, it runs 24 phases all the time.

Does anyone have any other result with Win7?

One other change I (may) have noticed between XP and Win7 is that in Win7, when DES2 is on the PWR LED pulses- on for a second, off for about three.  This may have been true with XP but I didn't notice it.

I don't know what it's trying to tell me.  It's not that I don't appreciate it.

I'm still wishing that Gigabyte would support Linux users, possibly by supporting DES in the BIOS rather than a Windows program.

Mark

Beekeeper

Re: DES2 useless in Win 7 ?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 06:42:32 pm »
tried with latest bios? ver. F6 or F7b ?

using latest des version from their website?

"Gigabyte would support Linux users" - i wish games vendors would support linux users also :)
“Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.”

UD6

Re: DES2 useless in Win 7 ?
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 05:26:33 am »
In works on my Win 7 32 Bit. At least it shows only 4 phases.

What I don't like is that it writes endless data to the disk - INFO.DAT - and this every second. So I put this to other such things on a RAM disk. An EXTREMELY badly programmed tool that wants to save energy and keeps at the same time the disk busy like crazy. Does not make much sense to me!