Official GIGABYTE Forum

Mid - range, solid system, advice on 7850

Mid - range, solid system, advice on 7850
« on: July 18, 2012, 06:55:29 pm »
Hi all

A few weeks ago I was lucky enough to get a U2711 Dell monitor, a 27" LCD of great coveting. I the found that the Gigagbyte motherboard wont output st dual link DVI, recuired by the monitor.

So, I bought a graphics card; I looked at what was , will be, and found the Gigabyte 7850 OC 3G looked pretty good, new gen cores/gcns, higher fad density, likely to be somewhat useful even after a few years. i triple checked that I had all the cabling.

I've been trying to build  silent PC. I'm not fanatic, but the case is lined with thick rubber matting, PSU floating, etc, and it really worked, I could sit down and not know if the machine was sleeping or just screen blanking, it was beautiful. and the Intel gfx were ok. And it was very quiet

No then a have a big monitor and a spare GTS250  . So I bought the 7850 I[f been looking at.

The first time i turned it on, I though that was max,  something will kick in and drop the fan rpm. Nope. I've tried EasyBoot, AfterBurner and all say same thing, I can vary the fan up to 100% and notice a change in pitch, or down to 5%, where I am.

I suppose thr bottom lime of that rambling expression of disappointment is to convey my frustration. I bought this in good faith, as a n 'ok' card for the 27".

I haven't used it for graphics, I only installed it tonight, but sitting here to write this had given me a headache, from the noise.

Are there any  other methods? Pull of the fans and replace them with 120mm Scythes? Just put a different card, This was already an expensive card for me.

Help ??? How can I get it cool enough, or more precisely, cool it when it needs cooling I've seen a bit about Intel;s Virtu tecnolgy, that'ed be great if I could turn on the 7850 when needed.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 07:04:05 pm by emueyes00 »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: Mid - range, solid system, advice on 7850
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 08:42:37 pm »
Hi and welcome.

If you are after true silence from your computer then there is only one option really and that is to watercool it. Like you say I have the system on the desk beside me and can hardly hear it. Even a quiet aircooled system will be fairly noticable especially when it is under duress. There are many almost silent machines around but they tends not to stay that way once  a game or some other heavy software is loaded.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB