Official GIGABYTE Forum

Need help OC'ing

Need help OC'ing
« on: May 12, 2012, 12:46:19 pm »
Hi all...I've just recently put together a new system based on game playing, specifically FSX. So now that it's all together and running fine, it's time to overclock it, ya knew you had it coming to ya ;D. The components are

1) Intel i5-2550K CPU @3.4 ghz
2) Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Mobo,(think I'm the only one on this site that has one of these :( but it was in the budget).
3) ADATA Premier Series DDR3 @1333 (16GB's)

Now I'm no expert at OC'ing, but I'm no rookie either, but when I look in the CMOS I'm a little intimidated by all the options I see and can"t really get my head around on where to start. I'm just using the stock Intel HSF right now, but looking to get an aftermarket HSF soon,(all recommendations are welcome), I know it's pretty hard to fry one of these things with all the safety "locks" in place but I"m also trying to avoid having to reset the CMOS and starting all over.

So I've come here, to you the PROS'
P.S. I'd like to stay away from software...Easy Tune.

Thanks in advance and enjoy your day ;D

Re: Need help OC'ing
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 10:56:05 am »
WOW nobody :'(

Fatman

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 11:06:58 am »
I would just start by slowly upping the mutiplier on the cpu until you bsod and then dial it back a notch. You could mess with voltages for the cpu etc but I found o'clocking just not really worth it IMHO.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 01:15:11 pm »
Hi there,

you can find a really useful little guide to O/C'ing in this thread: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,4072.0.html

There are also several posts in this section of the forum with advice on how to O/C a Sandybridge CPU which you might find helpful. As Fatman has stated, start slowly and try increasing the CPU's multiplier and you should be able to get a reasonably good increase just from that.

Once you have tweaked the multiplier as high as you can go without the system falling over (usually about 4.5GHz - 4.6GHz) then you will need to start looking at increasing voltages and making other fine adjustments. This is where you may need some more help and guidance but remember, there are no hard and fast rules when it comes to O/C'ing and what works on one PC may not work on another with seemingly identical components.

Don't forget that when you are O/C'ing you will increase temperatures throughout the system so good cooling of both the CPU and motherboard is essential. If you are running with the stock Intel cooler you may struggle to keep temperatures of the CPU low enough for a good O/C. Make sure you monitor CPU temperatures and voltage using software such as CPUZ.

If you have specific questions then there are plenty of users on the forum who I'm sure will try and help but I am afraid in the first stages it really is a case of suck it and see how your systems reacts. Make sure you know how to clear CMOS properly and also how to reflash or restore BIOS as these steps may be required (clearing CMOS definitely will be at some stage).
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.