Official GIGABYTE Forum

Compatible cpus for GA-MA770-DS3

Compatible cpus for GA-MA770-DS3
« on: November 25, 2009, 01:09:35 pm »
I am confused with the Giga-byte cpu support chart from my mobo.

I've got a GA-MA770-DS3 rev V1.0 with BIOS F7 over a year old.

It has a Phenom x3 8750 Speed : 2400 in it coupled with a very large cooler master heatsink which kept the cpu at 32C

I didn't over clock.

it has  Windows XP pro sp3, 4GB ram fitted,
2x 2GB DDR2-800 CL4 Ballistix Tracer RAM sticks from Crucial

Over the last 6 months it started to freeze instantly when doing video editing.
I'd reset it, chkdsk and it was fine. I guess I tried to ignore a problem.
But last week it didn't come back on after a freeze.

The leds on the mobo and ram sticks would light up blue, the cpu fans would go around but no post beeps - no display.

I tested the power supply, a 800W beast and it is fine.
reseated the graphics card, etc. to no improvement.

I guess I have to assume the cpu is dead and not the mobo. oh hum.

But after looking on the gigabyte cpu support list I'm confused about which cpu I can buy to replace it.
http://www.giga-byte.com/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2722

It says 'n/a' in the BIOS column for AM3 cpus.
Does this mean I can't use a AM3? I thought AM3 were backwards compatible if the bios supports it?

I want to get a
AMD CPU AM2+ Phenom II X4 940 black edition Quad Core Processor (AMD code: HDX940XCGIBOX) 3GHz cpu.

Will it work with this mobo?

I left a question with Gigabyte TW on their support. But so far no answer and I really, really need my pc up and running again.

Can gigabyte UK help me with my question?  :D

oggmonster

• I can see Russia from my house
Re: Compatible cpus for GA-MA770-DS3
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 01:30:41 pm »
I highly doubt it’s the CPU thats failed. In all my time ive never seen a CPU fail (unless its been dropped, or had silly volts pumped through it etc.) Although you've reseated the graphics card, have you tried it in another machine/tried a different graphics card? Have you tried running with 1 stick of ram then running memtest on them both then individually. I would also try running a HDD diagnostic available from the manufacturers site.
From my experience no post beeps either means iffy memory or graphics problems. Its not always the case though

Also how did you test the PSU? Was it on a PSU tester or in another machine etc?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 01:31:42 pm by oggmonster »
There's no place like ::1

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 05:09:44 pm »
Hi profquatermass

I agree with oggmomster - it's very seldom when CPU is dead

Regarding "N/A" in BIOS list - it means that bios is not available, as MA770-DS3 Rev.1.0 can't support AM3 cpu's due to hardware limitation.

But MA770-DS3 Rev.2.0 supports AM3 cpu's:
http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2874
ZX-S & C64 are still my favourites ;-)

R_N_B

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 05:25:19 pm »
CPU's do not die that easily. You have to really work at it to kill a CPU.  ;D ;D   oggmonster is spot on about that.

One thing I could not see if you had done was remove the battery from your motherboard and clear the cmos, if you did mention that please forgive me for asking. I shall check back a bit later this week to see if that helped.

The fact that your system would lock up when doing video editing indicates that their is some kind of issue in the way the memory is communicating with the CPU. Most of the time any irregularities in that communication can be sorted with a cmos clear and then a bios update. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 05:48:42 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

I did try powering off and shorting the cmos pins for 10secs.
I then replaced the battery with a new one. Still no display or post.

I did remove the pci-e graphics card and fitted a PCI one I have for spare testing.
Still no post or display.

I tested the P/S with a P/S test device. I also tried with a spare 700W P/S. No joy.

All I've got left to try is removing one of the sticks of ram.
Which is going to be damn difficult as the heatsink overhangs them. >:(

Can Gigabyte UK (or someone) confirm if I can use a AMD CPU AM2+ Phenom II X4 940 black edition Quad Core Processor (AMD code: HDX940XCGIBOX) 3GHz cpu. on this board or not.

Gigabyte.tw seems to be ignoring my support request!!
Oh hum...

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 06:07:41 pm »
Well I tried removing both ram modules and powering on - no post

I tried fitting just one stick and then swapping them. still no post.

So either the mobo is dead or the cpu is.

How do I eliminate one or the other?

P.S. correction - the only leds on are actually from the ram sticks.

R_N_B

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 06:24:46 pm »
Pop you CPU into a mates motherboard and see if it boot. That way if it does not then you know CPU is toast. If it does boot then you have a motherboard that is toast.

There is no reason why that CPU you want will not work on your motherboard as far as I know. AMD Phenom II X4 940 is a  Deneb family CPU and the Deneb family is supported.

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 08:30:18 pm »
If I had anyone around me with a decent PC, I'd do that.
But I don't sadly.

Be nice if there was a basic CPU test device on the market.

Thanks for mentioning that about the CPU I want. Do Gigabyte actually monitor these forums?
Is it worth me waiting for an official confirmation do you think?  :)

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 08:39:39 pm »
Hi profquatermass

I agree with oggmomster - it's very seldom when CPU is dead

Regarding "N/A" in BIOS list - it means that bios is not available, as MA770-DS3 Rev.1.0 can't support AM3 cpu's due to hardware limitation.

But MA770-DS3 Rev.2.0 supports AM3 cpu's:
http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2874

Oh hum...

So does my intended purchase the AM2+ CPU, the Phenom II X4 940 black edition Quad Core Processor (AMD code: HDX940XCGIBOX) 3GHz cpu work on a rev 1.0 board?

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 08:52:45 pm »
If I don't hear from Gigabyte, I'll just order a CPU AMD Black Edition Phenom X4 9950 2.6 GHz Agena Retail

from eBay. About the only people left selling this type.

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 04:40:43 pm »
So does my intended purchase the AM2+ CPU, the Phenom II X4 940 black edition Quad Core Processor (AMD code: HDX940XCGIBOX) 3GHz cpu work on a rev 1.0 board?
(...)
Can Gigabyte UK (or someone) confirm if I can use a AMD CPU AM2+ Phenom II X4 940 black edition Quad Core Processor (AMD code: HDX940XCGIBOX) 3GHz cpu. on this board or not.
(...)

I'm not so certain about it, rather doubt it, so I will confirm it for you soon.

If I don't hear from Gigabyte, I'll just order a CPU AMD Black Edition Phenom X4 9950 2.6 GHz Agena Retail
from eBay. About the only people left selling this type.

Not a good idea, as this CPU is not compatible with MA770-DS3 Rev. 1.0, see:
http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2722

(...)  Do Gigabyte actually monitor these forums?   (...)

Yes, we do.  8)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 06:27:37 pm by runn3R »

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 09:16:16 pm »
Well I've ordered the CPU AMD Black Edition Phenom X4 9950 2.6 GHz Agena Retail before I read your statement as the CPU support list clearly say it does.

It is there in the list right at the top!
also I've been told that the F7 bios on Rev 1.0 boards will run AM3 cpus. Care to comment?

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 12:09:35 pm »
Well I've ordered the CPU AMD Black Edition Phenom X4 9950 2.6 GHz Agena Retail before I read your statement as the CPU support list clearly say it does.

It is there in the list right at the top!
also I've been told that the F7 bios on Rev 1.0 boards will run AM3 cpus. Care to comment?

According to the list:
http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2722
Phenom X4 9950 is NOT compatible with your MB - see it's clearly written "N/A" there

Who told you that F7 bios supports AMD3 cpus?

P.S. Phenom II X4 940 is not compatible, as I confirmed

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 08:02:05 pm »
I contacted via ebay an American selling the Rev 1 of this board and claims that on various sites there is a discussion that bios F7 supports AM3 but this disables memory speeds above 800MHz.

He also claims that Gigabyte had 'officially' supported AM3 on this board with this bios version. but then changed the web site to claim it didn't. Probably in order to push their more modern boards he claims.

ebay item : 280429354373

Here is some impressive links he sent me, one from Gigabyte, that do seem to support his claim.

http://www.tweaktown.com/pressrelease/563/gigabyte_announces_support_for_amd_am3_am2_45nm/index.html

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/15479-ga-ma770-ds3-works-phenom-ii-x3-720-a.html

care to comment on these?

« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 08:10:22 pm by profquatermass »

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 09:23:24 am »
Hi profquatermass

MA770-DS3/S3 rev 1.0 has hardware limitation, cannot support AM3 CPUs, even though the BIOS can still recognize the CPU.

We found this limitation when AM3 CPU was out, but the mb's already shipped to the market, that's why modified the website.
http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/News/Motherboard/News_List.aspx?NewsID=1423
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 09:26:07 am by runn3R »