Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-P55-UD3R, Intel i5 Windows 7 won't install, crashes before country index!!!!

rpws1

Hi Guys

I'm currently building a new computer for a friend but I am having real problems installing windows 7 64bit. To be honest, I havent quite set up the Bios as im not entirely sure what to change as im only installing, but I have changed boot up to DVD drive. I place the Windows disc in, Boot from cd, (yes) windows loads up along the bottom, blue screen comes on with leave/bird imprint, mouse cursor comes up (ring aswell to show loading), then DVD/optical goes stops spinning/ quiet....starts spinning again...then...crash...mouse cursor doesn't move, dvd drive stops spinning also...left it for 30mins once but still no movement or advancement! Please HELP!!! :-[

This is the build:-

GA-P55-UD3R

i5 750

Corsiar 700w psu

Corsair DDR3, 1600MHz 4G 2x240DIMM, Unbuffered, 9-9-9-24, XMS3

XFX HD 5770 1GB Graphics Card

WD 1.5tb

Pioneer DVD

This is what I have tried already:

Use one RAM stick and then tried other ram stick!

Alternative HD!

Alternative DVD/optical drive!

Changing sata cables to masters aswell as slaves, except HD!

I have a feeling its a bios setup, but what would be the best setup for this build, i cant update bios cos I cant get into windows!

rpws1
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 04:13:34 pm by runn3R »

oggmonster

• I can see Russia from my house
Try updating to the latest BIOS revision using the qflash feature. Clear the CMOS. Change the SATA mode from IDE to ACHI in BIOS. Although its unlikely to be RAM run a memtest anyway http://www.memtest.org/#downiso download the ISO, burn ISO using nero image burner (or equivelent) Set machine to boot from CD rom.
Just a few things you can try :)
There's no place like ::1

rpws1

Hi buddy

Tried the sata switch, which was successful  and the installation is now getting as far as Windows expanding files at 0% but then crashes again! Cant update the bios cos we have no floppy and its the only thing that it will bring up! HELP!

rpws1

rpws1

Try updating to the latest BIOS revision using the qflash feature. Clear the CMOS. Change the SATA mode from IDE to ACHI in BIOS. Although its unlikely to be RAM run a memtest anyway http://www.memtest.org/#downiso download the ISO, burn ISO using nero image burner (or equivelent) Set machine to boot from CD rom.
Just a few things you can try :)

Memory test fine, please look at what I wrote below VVVV thanks

oggmonster

You should be able tp update via a usb pendrive. Have you tried an alternative PSU. Did you also clear the CMOS?

rpws1

Right..update bios via usb flash, saved then loaded up and done......bios then auto reset so changed boot priority back to dvd and tried to run it....crashes in the usual place of blue screen leave/bird. Then tried it with your SATA suggestion and then the HD dissappears!!! So I set it back to disable and it re-appears. I disabled the floppy as there isn't one and now the windows install will get as far as the Expanding Windows files (1%) then crash once more! Back to the bios....PLEASE HELP! :-[

oggmonster

Have you tried an alternative PSU? You may want to raise a support ticket with gigabyte themselves http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Support/ServiceCenter.aspx

NigelR

Hello,

I have had similar problems on my new build, it may be a completely different problem but worth a try?

CPU clock fixed 20X (2.66)
Turbo Boost Tech disabled
Block control enabled at 133
System Memory multiplier set at 8 (1067Mz)
Memory Performance Enhance STD

If it still crashes, enable XMP with the above settings, or manually step up the Dram voltage to 1.6 then 1.64v.

Mine (ga-55m-ud2, and the same Corsair memory) needed XMP enabled and the memory multiplier fixed at  8 (1067MHz to be stable), it was mostly stable with a multiplier at 10 (1333MHz).

Memtest would run for 10 hours at 1333MHz with no errors.

rpws1

If you were local buddy, I would buy you a drink! SPOT ON!  :D :D

Works perfectly, will faff around with most stable RAM settings now! :P :P

rpws1

oggmonster

Am suprised as should be able to load windows with defaults loaded  ??? Hope Gigabyte are aware of this! Nice work though NigelR  ;D

Beekeeper

tnx NigelR for sharing this valuable info
“Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.”

rc10b

@NigelR

Your bios settings have enabled me to get my new Win7 system with a P55A-UD3 motherboard stable at last, much appreciated  ;D

Steve