Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte HD 4850 1GB passive cooled.

Gigabyte HD 4850 1GB passive cooled.
« on: November 25, 2009, 11:47:53 pm »
Not really a problem as this card works very well, but how can I find out what temperature this card is running at.

oggmonster

• I can see Russia from my house
Re: Gigabyte HD 4850 1GB passive cooled.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 01:35:40 pm »
Isn't there a feature in the ATI cataylist that shows temps? Am not 100% sure as haven't used ATI for a while
There's no place like ::1

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 03:04:10 pm »
Should be able to check GPU temp in ATI Control Centre. It is found in the ATI overclock section. Hope this helps.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 04:44:00 pm »
Thanks for the replies, it was in the overclocking section. ;D

larret

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 08:33:24 am »
Hi. Does anyone know how high is normal temperature at idle/load time?

I've been using this card for one year without problems, recently I noticed that sometimes it gets very hot - about 87*C . I never overclocked this card. Last time after playing beta of StarCraft 2 I noticed for the first time - maaany graphical artifacts...

edit: problem persist with stock drivers
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 08:53:31 am by larret »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 08:52:13 am »
Hi there, not using the same card as you but am using a 4850X2 which is cooled by two fans. At start up/idle it tends to be running at about 47° - 50°C.
When doing something which is heavy on graphics and with the cooling fans going flat out I have peaked at about 85°C. Having looked into this a little bit it seems that these chips do run hot.
If you are worried about the temps, have you considered a third party fan to add some extra cooling? Being a passive card you are dependant on the airflow through your chasis to keep your temps low.

Just another thing to consider, are you running the latest drivers (ATI Catalyst Version 10.2).
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

larret

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 09:30:14 am »
Thx for reply.

Today I've opened PC case to eliminate airflow problem. Why do you ask me about ATI 10.2? There is some kind of issue with them? I've installed 10.2 ati drivers.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 10:14:52 am »
No issue but when drivers are updated they sometimes address programming/gaming issues which can cause cards to run hot.
Whilst having the latest drivers isn't always essential it's worth keeping them up-to-date.

larret

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 08:32:24 am »
OK. The problem is simple. Multi Core passive cooling solution isn't enough for more demanding games - gigabytes fault. Yesterday I noticed even higher temp - 118*C (!). PC did emergency shutdown. Full airflow didn't help at all. I don't really know why gigabytes sells mechanism such as Multi Core if it can't satisfy main requirements.

Maybe I will try put additional fan in place of PCI slot, but still - I'm not satisfied.

oggmonster

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 10:28:07 am »
OK. The problem is simple. Multi Core passive cooling solution isn't enough for more demanding games - gigabytes fault. Yesterday I noticed even higher temp - 118*C (!). PC did emergency shutdown. Full airflow didn't help at all. I don't really know why gigabytes sells mechanism such as Multi Core if it can't satisfy main requirements.

Maybe I will try put additional fan in place of PCI slot, but still - I'm not satisfied.

If its getting that hot it could well be a faulty card, next time you upgrade I would reccomend to stray away from passive cooled (regardless of manufacturer)

larret

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 12:33:44 pm »
Yes. However I'll try another soultion. I ordered Scythe "Kama Stay"  (http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/071/sckst1000_detail.html). I will let You know if something like this works.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 12:34:17 pm by larret »

larret

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 08:16:11 am »
After mounting this PCI slot fan, temperature lowered drasticly - from 108*C to 75*C while load , and from 75*C to 48*C while idle! A miracle :P

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 08:55:14 am »
Hi, pleased to see that adding the PCI slot fan has reduced temps for you and in such dramatic fashion!  :o

I know that it is not the ideal solution for you but, to be honest, passively cooled Graphics cards are not really meant for gaming or excessive graphic rendering (despite the claims made for them). I think that you will find that they are designed more with the HTPC area in mind. And, as oggmonster said, it is better to stay away from passively cooled graphics cards, whoever the manufacturer may be, unless you have a specific need for a silent solution and are not intending to do too much gaming.

oggmonster

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 01:01:01 pm »
Wow have never seen a pci fan make that much difference, but glad it has! :o

I know that it is not the ideal solution for you but, to be honest, passively cooled Graphics cards are not really meant for gaming or excessive graphic rendering.

+1 amen!!