Official GIGABYTE Forum

confused about boot priority

confused about boot priority
« on: May 26, 2012, 08:48:12 pm »
i am about to build my first system using a z77 board. i am confused about which "boot priority" to use. in bios under "advanced" it seems i have 2 option to set boot priority. ist it seems i can select the optical drive to load windows using either under "boot priority" or under 1st, 2nd, ot 3rd boot priority. which one should i use? or can i say choose the optical drive under boot priority and put my main hard drive as the 1st hard drive? any help would be appreciated! i hope my explanations makes sense lol

thanks;

dave

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: confused about boot priority
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 07:56:29 am »
Hi Dave,

You will find a lot of settings are doubled up and you can find the same thing in more than one place. It doesn't matter which you use.

As for installing Windows I woulkd suggest setting the boot priority to your hard drive first and then when you want to boot from the optical drive for the installation just use the F12 key during booting to give you the boot options. This will be a one time choice and will revert back to the hard drive afterwards.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB