Official GIGABYTE Forum

What do you think of new Windows 8 tablets?

davidbec

Re: What do you think of new Windows 8 tablets?
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2013, 05:03:57 pm »
Well Computex 2013 has come and gone.

I know we (me) were looking forward to seeing soem new tablets from the various manufacturers. These did not appear. Mostly because as you perhaps now know, the Intel Baytrail CPU will be released later this year as as a result I believe most manufacturers are developing tablets based around it.

We did see the W3 from Acer released and it is now up for preorder at prices ranging from $350 - $380USD. There were a few others, but nothing to get excited about.

It's all up to Baytrail later this year. Before the holiday season they say.

Early performance estimates place the CPU well above the current Atom and the GPU should be well over 100 percent faster. All this with 14 hours (according to the marketing) of battery life. Additionally it will support SATA, USB 3 and higher than 1080p resolution screens. Three things the current Atom 2760 is lacking.

So you get the impression that this Atom is going to be the BOOM!! And it probably will be. Time will tell. I suppose.

Gigabyte launched/released the S10A tablet at Computex 2013, however details are not the website as yet. It is using an AMD Tamesh A4-1200 CPU inside the casing of the S108x line we are familiar with. So it has the same ports, resolution and features as the current tablets. The AMD CPU however has a very powerful GPU inside it although the CPU portion runs at just 1Ghz. Once we start to see reviews we will know how this combination works out.

So that's it from me for now...
Happy S1080 owner from Barbados