Official GIGABYTE Forum

BIOS Update for GA-Z68X-UD7-B3

appy

BIOS Update for GA-Z68X-UD7-B3
« on: May 24, 2012, 08:25:34 pm »
Hey!

I've been running on F8 bios version for a long time but i want to flash it to F10 now. I tried once before but gave up since my Q-flash utility couldn't find my usb stick (I also tried different usb sticks) with the latest bios on, exactly as mentioned in the manual for flashing. I tried every usb-port available but without succes. The weird part is that I do find my flash drive in bios but not in the Q-flash utility.

I think that my current F8 version is corrupt or something. I used @BIOS when I flashed to F8 last time. Should i try to get the work done again with @BIOS since i cannot use Q-flash? What's the worst thing that can happen if it fails? This board has dual-bios = 1st version kicks in if needed ?

I want this update because of power issues, when put to sleep mode the computer starts up again by itself.. Also time to do a fresh win7 install again, perfect timing!

// Appy

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: BIOS Update for GA-Z68X-UD7-B3
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 08:53:54 pm »
Hi Appy,

first thing I would say is try to avoid using @BIOS to update at all costs. The worst that can happen, if it goes wrong, is a bricked board that you will have to RMA. There are occasions when you have to use this utility but it is not the best route to take unless you really have to.

There is no reason that I know of that you shouldn't be able to use QFlash with your motherboard.

When you formatted your USB stick did you make sure it was done as FAT32? If you did it with NTFS then the USB stick will not be recognised.
What size USB Stick are you using? I have found that a drive of 4 GB or less is best.
Did you check through the FAQ here: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2441.0.html where Dark Mantis and I have tried to explain the steps for using QFlash? If you haven't done so, take the time to check through it as it may throw up something that you have missed.

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

appy

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 03:50:22 pm »
Hey again, yeah my USB stick is FAT32 (8 gigs) and Q-flash says no drives found.. But isn't it weird that i recognize it in BIOS but not in Q-flash? When I check my boot order i see my USB stick right there.

I've read all the info u guys put up there, good stuff but it doesnt help me with this. I've tried another USB stick as well, not found either.

appy

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 11:05:29 pm »
Hi Appy,

first thing I would say is try to avoid using @BIOS to update at all costs. The worst that can happen, if it goes wrong, is a bricked board that you will have to RMA. There are occasions when you have to use this utility but it is not the best route to take unless you really have to.

There is no reason that I know of that you shouldn't be able to use QFlash with your motherboard.

When you formatted your USB stick did you make sure it was done as FAT32? If you did it with NTFS then the USB stick will not be recognised.
What size USB Stick are you using? I have found that a drive of 4 GB or less is best.
Did you check through the FAQ here: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2441.0.html where Dark Mantis and I have tried to explain the steps for using QFlash? If you haven't done so, take the time to check through it as it may throw up something that you have missed.

You there !? :P

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 09:21:10 pm »
Hi

I think maybe your problem is that you are expecting to see a USB drive in QFlash. It normally shows up as a hard drive or sometimes a floppy drive. Check all drive options that you are presented with and see if it is under a different heading.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

appy

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 08:48:33 pm »
Hi

I think maybe your problem is that you are expecting to see a USB drive in QFlash. It normally shows up as a hard drive or sometimes a floppy drive. Check all drive options that you are presented with and see if it is under a different heading.

Hello DM, thing is that it doesnt find any drives at all, "no drives found.." , So im not able to find anything at all in Q-flash :/

appy

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 12:07:53 am »
What is your suggestion? I would be really happy to know if there's a way to make drives appear in Q-flash or if there's a another way to make the flash process possible!

thx!