Official GIGABYTE Forum

GTX 670 Freeze

Altair

Re: GTX 670 Freeze
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2012, 10:47:54 pm »
I'm still stuck with my old GTX 460.
Not a single word from GB so far.
The GTX 670 is running fine on my friend's pc, only because he has an old 1.1  PCIE Mobo.
On my P8z68 it keeps crashing and crashing, and bios updates didn't help at all.
I can't RMA it because they can't find anything wrong with the card. In fact, on my system, somethmes it crashes after 5 minutes with the PC in idle, other times it can hold on for 5 hours of gaming before crashing.
here is a video of a classic freeze, in this case the card recovered because it usually recovers if I play windowed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTqjYL5cBYI
I'm very disappointed! I just need to know if this issue can be fixed or if I better buy another card from another brand. Or maybe wait for a GTX 7XX and buy the next generation. From another brand.
I upgraded my pc to play borderlands 2 and I'm still stuck with an old card which can't even handle the 1th one.

« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2012, 12:42:16 am »
Indeed, kinda due time to get some official reply on this issue folks =/

brunow

« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2012, 05:41:41 pm »
Hello, guys
How are you ?

Let me give you a quick overview about my problem:

I've bought a gtx 670 ftw, crashes, artefacts, bsod, rsod, brutal fps drop, crashing on iddle, etc.

Send it back to the store to get a new one, guess what ? Same problems with the new one.

Ok, now I was given the chance to trade on a Gigabyte GTX 670 ( GTX670 2GB DDR5 PCI Express 3.0 GV-N670OC-2GD GIGABYTE )
What I would like to know is if this card has been given as many problems as the evga card.

I have the following specs:

i7 2600k
850w TX Corsair
WD Caviar Black 1TB
Xpredator Aerocool
GTX 670 FTW
Asus Maximus IV - Gen 3
16gb Vengeance Blue

Is the asus mobo the problem ? Or there are people out the with the same mobo that me running this card flawless ?
Making this trade is really a good choice ? I'm really tired to send this card back and not be able to use my computer, that i've been mouting since 2011 :(

Please, help me on this matter.
Thanks

« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2012, 07:13:56 pm »
What is your motherboard chipset? Z77 by any chance?

« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2012, 11:41:29 am »
Have you tried running your GTX 670 in Gen2 (PCIE 2.0) or Gen1 (PCIE 1.1)?
Check if your motherboard allows you to and test it.

If in Gen1 or Gen2 your problems disappear, then most likely you have the same issue that we all have.
Appearently it affects Z77 chipset and another one of the P series (can't remember which) but it does NOT affect the Z68 one.

brunow

« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2012, 04:10:20 pm »
Yeah, i have seen people talking about that but i couldnt find an option on bios to do that.

Also, by doing that the performance will be affected?
 :(

« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2012, 05:49:10 pm »
Depends.
In gen2? Not affected at all. In gen1? Yes it will, not by an enormous amount but it will nonetheless.
Try to read your MoBo instruction booklet or go to a forums where other people have your motherboard and can ask some questions about the options I talked you about.

The majority of motherboards have at least the Gen1 setting, for testing purposes.

apgs02

« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2012, 06:51:58 pm »
I am haveing ths exact problem also, its disgusting that this card is still being sold with these problems with no warning. I am appauled at Gigabytes lack of customer service on the matter. I will be going round online shops that sell these cards and writeing a product review to let people know no to buy Gigabyte. i Certianly will never recomend them to a friend or even enemy in the future. I hope your bad attitude comes back and bites you in the butt Gigabyte.

« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2012, 07:24:02 pm »
Not trying to play the devil's advocate here, but trying to put myself into gigabyte's shoes, I can understand how it can be hard for them to really understand the magnitude of these issues.
Some people who claimed having this issue turned out, in the end, to have just a normal issue in their system and not in their card.

I think Gigabyte is underestimating our troubles for this very reason. They just think we're all a bunch of noobs and that we have a problem of compatibility in our systems, but it has NOTHING to do with the videocard itself.

Still, with the number of people reporting this problem, least they could do is to ask one of us to send them the card so that they can "study" it and see if this issue affects other cards, just ours, or if there is no issue at all.

They are just playing silent and this is awful and despicable.
I could understand during summer break, but we're in mid september now, we deserve an official reply in some form.

brunow

« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2012, 08:34:33 pm »
Since this is a compatibility problem happening with the motherboard and the video card ... I should understand that the gtx 670, whatever the brand is ... will NOT work on my system, right ?

If this is right, who is responsible to release an update to fix that ?
Meanwhile I think I'll buy an old card, seems that the problem will be solved and I will not have to give 800 bucks on a card that is not compatible with my mobo.

and this lack of assistance from giga scares me :(

Thanks for the warning, guys.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 08:39:49 pm by brunow »

« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2012, 11:47:32 pm »
Since this is a compatibility problem happening with the motherboard and the video card
It's not.
I personally know friends whith a system configuration almost identical to mine (same motherboard, same processor, same videocard) and they have no issue at all. If I put my videocard in their system, the problem appears.
So no, it's not "just" a problem of compatibility but probably something more complicated.
It does NOT affect all GTX 670 windforce, but we are unable to say the % the "defective" cards amount to.
Realistically there might be more around, but a lot of people are still using PCIE2.0 or PCIE1.1 and didn't notice the issue because of that.

Gonna be funny when those people upgrade their systems to a PCIE 3.0 one...

So to answer your question, it doesn't necessarily mean this card will not work on your system. If your lucky and get a good one, it totally will.

brunow

« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2012, 11:59:23 pm »
hahahaha

Great day this is, where you spend $800(Brasil suckz) on a video card and you also need to be LUCKY to this card work properly.

I guess I'll keep trying every single card on the store, until one works.

Thanks for the assistance, dude. You've been very helpful

Oh, btw ... Do you have any idea of how to change that pcie from 3.0 to 2.0 ?

I've this board here:

http://www.amazon.com/MAXIMUS-EXTREME-REV-3-0-Motherboard/dp/B004OT7XLM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=Q550QHTLYBEX&coliid=I3QWI1O96QFQSH

Thanks ;)

« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2012, 03:45:52 pm »
Well not necessarily "luck", you could still choose another brand of Videocard and you wouldn't run into the risk of getting a defective model :)

Also, the motherboard you linked doesn't have PCIE 3.0 slots but only 2.0, so even a defective one would work perfectly there :)

« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2012, 09:46:15 am »
im in the same boat i have RMA my first 670 and the second card is also crashing. im currently running in PCIE Gen1 what a joke.

asrock extreme-4m mobo.