Official GIGABYTE Forum

Logitech G27 Racing Wheel

Grozdan

• Eternal Power above all
    • GDHardver
« on: November 16, 2011, 07:06:11 pm »

Logitech G-series products I already mentioned, when I tested the G510 keyboard, and found that it are a really impressive products when it comes to the G Series. Now I have another Logitech product available. Another product of the G series. No, it's not another keyboard but something else entirely. It is a wheel, and not just any wheel - Logitech G27 http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/gaming/wheels/devices/5184 .

It is a real masterpiece, but from Logitech we can not expect anything less. Of course, Logitech likes to keep their products cost quite high, so this product will have a difficult job of finding its way to the majority of users. Price comes to around 300 euros on the local market! However, if you ignore the price, you get a very interesting product that will give you many hours of fun and enjoyment in games.

G27 comes in large and heavy cardboard box.G27 comes in a distinctive package so that we know immediately that this is a product of Logitech's G series. Package contains the steering wheel, stand with pedals, gearbox, battery, necessary documentation and installation CD.

As you can see on the box, it is an impressive product.

The steering wheel is connected through a USB port, but that's not all. It is necessary to first connect the stand of the pedals and gearbox with a steering wheel. After that, the wheel needs to be connected with a source of electricity on the charger.

Connectivity is not difficult and it all comes down to connecting cables to a predefined location.

After connecting peripheral devices, steering wheel must be connected to a source of electrical energy.

Finally, just  plug the device into an available USB port.

You must install the Logitech Gaming Software. If you do everything without error, when connecting the wheel to the computer via a USB port, steering wheel should turn to react. The software should work without problems - show the compression pedal response, gear changes, and so on.

G27 actually has a lot to offer!

- Dual-Motor Force Feedback - you will feel the loss of traction, loss of weight of the vehicle and any unevenness of the terrain on which you drive.

- Manual six-speed gearbox - all very faithfully reproduced.

- Pedals to change the speed.

- LED indicators to display engine RPM - check the indicator to let you know when to change gear.

- Leather-covered steering wheel - Leather is hand-sew.

- Accelerator, brake and clutch are made of metal.

- Rotation of the wheel 900 ° - it is possible to turn the steering wheel 2.5 times on its axis, just like most real cars.

- 16 programmable buttons and a D-pad - useful for setting up the necessary functions in games.

- Stand with pedals can not slip.

- The steering wheel can be fixed for a definite stand.

To function properly, you need to install the Logitech gaming software for that device. The current version for both 32 bit and 64 bit Windows, you can find on the Logitech website http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/441/5184.With this software it is possible to make all the settings and check the correctness of the wheel. Also, you can leave the game itself to recognize and determine the settings, but it is always better if you adjust the steering wheel to your liking.

The process of installing software is easy and all you need to do is follow the instructions.

After installing the software and connecting the wheel to the computer, you're ready to enjoy all the driving simulation.

The scope of the steering wheel is 28cm and is lined with real leather, which is a hand-sew. The steering wheel feels great in your hands and it is impossible to slip no matter the situation. Dual-motor force feedback was excellent and made contributes to reality. You will feel every bump as you drive in real life. When you fly over the hill, you will lose a sense of weight of the vehicle.

The precision of the steering wheel is at a high level, although you have to make a few adjustments. I recommend that you leave all the settings to 100% because you will thus have the most realistic driving experience. "Weight" of the steering wheel while driving is also well done. Most of you will feel when giving a "double" in drift mode driving.I must say that I learned first hand why rally drivers never hold the wheel in "steady" position! The feeling is great!

The steering wheel also includes the pedals to change gears, just like in real sports car, and work the same way. Also present were 6 buttons which can be configured for different functions. These functions are mainly- going to the main menu, change the look of the vehicle and parking brake. I have to make my objection to the parking brake. Although everything related to the very precise steering, handbrake does not fit here because it is very difficult to control. Perhaps with practice, but in time I spent with the G27, I was unable to overcome the parking brake.

The steering wheel can be fixed in two ways. The first is to use plastic screws for quick and easy attachment to your computer desk. Another way is to use metal screws to fix the steering wheel for a longer period of time.

Shifting gears is also well done. You will not have any problems when inserting into any of the 6-speed, and also there is the reverse. Just like in a real car.Gearbox has a short walk, as in real sports car. Shift lever is covered with leather and can not slide off.

The stand of the transmission includes eight programmable buttons plus D-pad. Like the buttons on the steering wheel, and these keys can be programmed as desired with the help of software.

Fits in the same way as the steering wheel. However, if you use plastic screws that come with the base gear, you have a third screw that maintains stability.

The stand of the accelerator pedal, brake and clutch is made of quality plastic (the wheel base and gear box as well).

The pedals are made of metal. It is possible to adjust the pedal height to create a more realistic experience. Pedals are very precise and with different resistance. Thus, the brake is the hardest and the softest accelerator pedal.

On the bottom base is also embossed rubber base which prevents it slipping during use. Where did you set it up, there will remain no matter how much time you spend with the steering wheel.

Before us stands a very good quality product that will give you many hours of fun.I tested it with games like "Need for Speed ​​Shift 2", "Colin Mcrae Dirt 2 and Dirt3" and "F1 2011". Some of the games, it is impossible to play with the keyboard, such as "Shift 2" but the G27 get a true picture of good driving. However, I mostly enjoyed the Dirt 3 - constant changes in terrain forcing you to fully master the steering wheel, because if you are not "professional driver" most of the time you will be in the woods and fixing the rear of the car. Of course, you can always turn on all sorts of help when driving, but then you kill the magic of the game / wheel.

There are a few omissions on the wheel, but in my opinion the biggest flaw is the price. 300 euros is a lot of money considering that it was "only" wheel. On the other hand, gamers who enjoy driving simulations, they will know to respect the steering wheel because the G27 is currently the best deal you can find on the market.

In the end, giving final assessment is a major problem. On one side we have a very high quality product that will meet most of your needs while on the other hand we have a few flaws, among which the biggest drawback is the price of the wheel ...

If price is not a problem, the Logitech G27 is definitely recommended.

Grozdan Dostanić (GDHardver) score 4 / 5

« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 07:09:05 pm by Grozdan »
AMD PII X4 955BE feat. CM 212+ Push Pull, GB GA-790XTA-UD4, 2*2 GB Mushkin Silverline Stiletto, GB GeForce GTX 460 768MB Windforce 2, 2* WD 640 GB Black in Raid0, Seasonic SS-620GM, Silverstone Precision PS-05B Black, Samsung P2450H, Logitech G510 + G9 + Z2300 + X-530

RatsAss

Re: Logitech G27 Racing Wheel
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 11:00:28 pm »
I've been using this wheel for about 2 years now without any issues. Excellent piece of hardware. ;D

Before that I had the G25 and before that the Driving Force Pro. All  are still working on my kids pc's.

I belong to an online racing league with rfactor as the game of choice.

I await what Logitech's next wheel will be. ;)

Here's a pic or two of where I have it installed. Some day I will build a proper race simulator,but this will do and does for now.

edit,,,  I just noticed the second pic has the G25 in it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 11:03:09 pm by Ripjaws »

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 06:50:41 pm »
Moderator edit: I am afraid that selling your components is not allowed on the forum. Please use one of the online auction sites or something similar.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 07:38:32 pm by Dark Mantis »

johnbash

Re: Logitech G27 Racing Wheel
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 07:58:42 am »
Looks really cool, though its an ad I would like to thank you for sharing this nicely