Official GIGABYTE Forum

New Build Issues

Xthlon

New Build Issues
« on: June 25, 2012, 07:08:58 pm »
Hello,

i was wondering if you could advise me, my new build after two weeks of running fine started running into some issues, I first noticed the issue when starting up battlefield 3 and during map load the game would crash, task manager would report that I had 6Gb of 8Gb memory free yet only 2 avaliable.

I initially thought then that there was a RAM stick issue and so ran Memtest86 which showed that each individual stick did not have errors but when the motherboard had two sticks in (any configuration) memtest86 would almost instantly start showing errors.

i have already  RMA'd my motherboard towhre it was bought from and have had the same one returned as i thought that it was a motherboard issue however then realised shortly after sending it off that the memory controller is actually on the Ivy bridge chips now. The motherboard was returned with no documentation so i have no idea what they did or if they did test for a fault but i have emailed them to ask so i will know later on.

do  think that this is the case and that i should RMA my processor  or do you think there is another underlying problem that i haven't thought of?

here is a link to images from my memory tests (i didnt want to fill up the thread with loads of pictures)

https://picasaweb.google.com/1068603...eat=directlink

Your help is very much appreciatied.

System specs:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
Proc: I7 3770K
Mem: Corasir vengeance lp 2 x4GB @ 1600
PSU: corsair TX850
GPU: Nvidia GTX570

if there is anything i have forgotten to mention that could be of help just let me know

Cheers in advance

Scott

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: New Build Issues
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 07:47:34 pm »
Hi Scott,

your picture link seems to be broken so can't see images of MemTest.

As a matter of interest have you tried running your RAM at 1333MHz instead of their rated 1600MHz to see if you still get errors?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 10:05:45 pm »
Hi

Absic has already given you a good suggestion there as it could very well be a memory problem. You could always try running just one stick of RAM in the first slot and see if the issue is still there.

Obviously it could be a faulty memory controller which would require a change of CPU as it is inbuilt now. However it isn't often that processors are damaged except by user error. I think if it were down to that it would be more likely tro be a bent pin in the CPU socket. Once you have checked everything else try removing the CPU and then take some good pictures of the socket pins. Use just good lighting and no flash. Also put the camera on Macro.

Like so:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 10:06:31 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Xthlon

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 08:41:31 am »
Hi thank you for the replies

here is the link that should work
https://picasaweb.google.com/106860337425233307913/MemoryIssues?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCPuHheuMspXmFQ&feat=directlink

absic:

the memtest was done at 1333  as well with memtest86 and errors still occured as soon as there is multiple sticks in the baord, i tried in all configurations i could both single and dual channel as well which hopefully you can now see from the few screen shots at the above link

Dark Mantis:

as you said i tried single sticks which you should now be able to see in the pictures, ill add the mobo pins picture as well but as the system worked perfectly fine for two weeks im not sure that that would be the problem.

also as a little extra info ii wore an anti static wrist band the whole time of the build, and i am extremely careful with the components and there placement (as I'm sure you would be at the cost of these)

EDIT: Whilst taking the photo's of the socket i have noticed that the board that was returned from the Company i RMA'd it to have put the dust cover on backwards somehow so i hope that hasnt damaged the pins  :-\ however from a close look through a jewellers eye it seems to be ok
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 09:03:06 am by Xthlon »