Official GIGABYTE Forum

G1.Assasin 2 Overclock Wont Stay After Resuming From Sleep

RobD

Re: G1.Assasin 2 Overclock Wont Stay After Resuming From Sleep
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 01:22:25 pm »
You wouldn't belive it! I disable Full Screen Logo Show [the only change] and the bios has a meltdown!!
Same story as before, endless retries to initialize and when that finally succeeds the press del for setup is now bringing up the tab menu.   ???
Have started a new thread for this one.

RobD

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 03:30:41 pm »
Ok, have set bios as per your pic and now have full control  of multiplier in control panel, which I left set at 100%
I initially left the bios multiplier on x33 and set turbo boost to disable, then booted to check that the cpu was running at x33 - all good.
Then changed the mult in bios to x35 and rebooted.
Cpuz now showed x35 and no amount of sleeps/resumes would move it off that.
Try yours at 1 or 2 clocks above stock and see what happens.
If you want me to try something else on mine, let me know  :)

edit: Just remembered your running 7x64, will load that up and see what happens.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 04:34:35 pm by RobD »

RobD

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2012, 06:52:39 pm »
Ok, did a install of 7x64sp1 with all drivers and still cannot duplicate your clock problem.

One interesting thing though, whereas in 7x32sp1  I had control of the multiplier in control panel > min power state after disabling the power/sleep settings in bios, in 7x64 I no longer have that control. The clock is always flat out even with min power state on 0%
The question is, is this a 32 versus 64 difference, or is it because I installed 7x64 with those settings already disabled in bios?
I tried re-enabling them, rebooting, checking cpuz was now showing low clock - all good, then disabling them again and rebooting, but still had no control of clock via min power state.

Another thing noted, not all sleep/hybrid states are available in control panel until the vga drivers are installed.
I did try hybrid sleep enabled and disabled but that had no effect on cpu clock after resume.
I also tried sleeping with cpuz still running and not running without issue, my clock was always x35 as per bios.
Im still on F10 bios

C-BuZz

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2012, 01:41:13 am »
Ok, did a install of 7x64sp1 with all drivers and still cannot duplicate your clock problem.

One interesting thing though, whereas in 7x32sp1  I had control of the multiplier in control panel > min power state after disabling the power/sleep settings in bios, in 7x64 I no longer have that control. The clock is always flat out even with min power state on 0%
The question is, is this a 32 versus 64 difference, or is it because I installed 7x64 with those settings already disabled in bios?
I tried re-enabling them, rebooting, checking cpuz was now showing low clock - all good, then disabling them again and rebooting, but still had no control of clock via min power state.

Another thing noted, not all sleep/hybrid states are available in control panel until the vga drivers are installed.
I did try hybrid sleep enabled and disabled but that had no effect on cpu clock after resume.
I also tried sleeping with cpuz still running and not running without issue, my clock was always x35 as per bios.
Im still on F10 bios

Thanks for all your testing there mate. I think after resuming from sleep it's defaulting to 35x multi. So yours could still be having the same clock issues. Can you try setting 40x multi in bios (or something higher than 35x), then boot into windows > sleep  > resume?

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 01:42:15 am by C-BuZz »

RobD

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2012, 04:16:58 am »
Yeah, was thinking the same thing, but I don't have a whole lot of cooling on mine and was a bit paranoid about pushing too hard, brb
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 04:19:18 am by RobD »

RobD

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2012, 05:54:31 am »
Ah-ha, nailed it! Finally got it to do what yours is doing. I set x37 in bios, boots and shows x37 in cpuz, but after resume from sleep was now back to x36.
We were right, it's defaulting back to the max turbo frequency after resume, even though thats disabled in bios.
When I set mine to x37, it would go back to x36 after resume, which is the default 6 cores active turbo frequency for this processor.

The trick is to enable [auto may work also - untested as yet] turbo frequency in bios and set the active core settings to the minimum you want.
I left my 1 and 2 core as-is [39] and set all the others to 37, which is the default for 3 and 4 cores active so I could probably have left them as-is as well, but for 5 and 6 cores active the default was 36 and after setting them to 37, it will now boot and show x 37 and still be on x37 after resume from sleep.

Mind you, my systen totally spat the dummy on the first resume from sleep!!  :o
It seem to give up trying to resume, went into bios loop a couple of times, then started with the logo but asking me if I wanted to boot from the dvd, 7x64 was still in the drive but boot order was such that this message should not have appeared.
I ignored the message and there was a momentary flash of something on the screen [bsod I think] and it booted the dvd anyway ["goddammit, what the hell are you doing!!"  ]
So I ctrl-alt-del out of that, bios starts ok this time [no loops] but I'm still asked if I want to boot the dvd, I ignore, it flashes the sceen and boots the dvd again.
I ctrl-alt-del out of that again and remove the dvd from the drive while it's re-posting.
This time it pops up the boot screen for safe-normal boot etc. I tell it to boot normal [if it knows what that is anymore!!] and it gets on with the job and I arrive at the desktop with a message that windows has recovered from a problem..."you don't say!!"  :)

I tried cpuz, still on x37 and was able to sleep/resume any number of times after that and it remained on x37 with no issues resuming from sleep....go figure!!  :D

RobD

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2012, 06:02:29 am »
Oh, forgot to add, I also figured out why min power state in cpl was having no effect. It's because of disabling EIST in bios. Disabling it also prevents cpuid h/w monitor from picking up and displaying many of the temp sensors.
Enabling it does not have any effect on the multiplier problem.

C-BuZz

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2012, 08:40:40 am »
Nice work Rob, that workaround works!

RobD

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2012, 09:50:59 am »
No probs   :)
I'm not sure I would classify it as a workaround, it's proably quite normal behavior for any bios/cpu with these features.
My theory is, that when you disable turbo, all your doing is turning off the ability to make changes, the machine still sees the turbo settings and reacts to them.
I have to say that my bios has totally behaved itself for quite a while now with logo enabled, even after many changes - no loops!

Have struck another oddity though, with ahci versus ide sata settings. Not necessarily a problem, just a curiosity, but it could have deeper consequences.
Have started another thread for it.

C-BuZz

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2012, 11:06:05 am »
No probs   :)
I'm not sure I would classify it as a workaround, it's proably quite normal behavior for any bios/cpu with these features.
My theory is, that when you disable turbo, all your doing is turning off the ability to make changes, the machine still sees the turbo settings and reacts to them.
I have to say that my bios has totally behaved itself for quite a while now with logo enabled, even after many changes - no loops!

Have struck another oddity though, with ahci versus ide sata settings. Not necessarily a problem, just a curiosity, but it could have deeper consequences.
Have started another thread for it.

It's not normal, I've had literally dozens of systems with the Turbo feature & none of them defaulted to max turbo freq after resuming from sleep. Good to see that your bios is finally behaving. Have you updated to F11?

RobD

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2012, 11:30:41 am »
Ah-ha, ok, then it is not normal 4 sure. And certainly one could argue that, when you disable something, you expect it to have no further influence on the system at all, not just prevent further changes to the settings.
No, I'm still on F10 trying to islolate the bsod after resume issue.

C-BuZz

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2012, 11:40:36 am »
Ah-ha, ok, then it is not normal 4 sure. And certainly one could argue that, when you disable something, you expect it to have no further influence on the system at all, not just prevent further changes to the settings.
No, I'm still on F10 trying to islolate the bsod after resume issue.

Exactly, if it's disabled it's disabled. Not disabled then active after resuming from sleep.

Update to F11 bios & see if it resolves your bsod issues.

RobD

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2012, 12:59:37 pm »
Yeah I'm wanting to pin down exactly which configs have a problem first, make sure it's not something I'm doing, then see if F11 fixes it. But I'm a bit reluctant on F11 with it's retry issue.

RobD

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2012, 06:56:01 pm »
As per logo/loop thread, F11 is working fine but did not resolve the resume > bsod on raid issue.
This one is critical to me and have logged it directly with gigabyte support.