Official GIGABYTE Forum

CPU idle application?

nicolatesla

• what, the rabbit?
CPU idle application?
« on: November 30, 2009, 09:00:15 pm »
It would be cool to reduce the CPU speed when the processor is not being used, reducing the heat of the processor.
I tried the application that comes with the board, Gigabyte energy saver, but every time XP boots up, windows closes (shuts off) the energy saver, and a message appears: "ess has encountered problems and needs to close"
Is there any application that has been successfully used with a 945 quad core, to reduce the speed when the processor is not under heavy demand?
It's not an overclock question...I don't overclock, I just want to run as cool as I can.
Your recommendations are appreciated.
Giga GA-MA790FXT-UD5P, Phenom II 945 X4, Gskill 4GB, Coolermaster, Sapphire HD4870, Velociraptor HDD, 7 fans, Antec 550+, Acer 24" LCD. "I tried Asus, then I bought a real motherboard."

Pottypete

Re: CPU idle application?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 10:28:27 pm »
Hi,
Have you the manual, link here,.
 http://europe.giga-byte.com/FileList/Manual/motherboard_manual-ga-ma790fxt-ud5p_e.pdf
Try uninstalling application and download from website latest app for xp sp3,
checking on web this maybe a xp sp3 problem, but I can find no solution yet,
Trying my best,

Beekeeper

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 04:08:57 pm »
new bios could be also helpful as all these gigabyte applications have strict connection with bios

sp3 for win xp is a nightmare due to so many problems caused. it also slows total boot up time.
i am still using sp2 due to above reasons
“Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.”

nicolatesla

• what, the rabbit?
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 06:29:56 pm »
new bios could be also helpful as all these gigabyte applications have strict connection with bios

sp3 for win xp is a nightmare due to so many problems caused. it also slows total boot up time.
i am still using sp2 due to above reasons

It was very kind of you folks to check for a solution, thank you.
Microsoft has changed the updater process and in doing so, created updates and service packs that goof up the XP operating system very badly. The updates cause all kinds of problems.
I do not recommend that SP3 be installed from the update website, however the XP disk with SP3 already in place probably works much better (older version of SP3)
In fact, most microsoft updates downloaded from the update site are a mistake.
You are better off running without any microsoft updates.
Using a good security system, such as panda internet security, will work better than installing any microsoft updates.

Im going to check and see if the updated version of Gigabyte energy saver works any better.....
Or maybe AMD techs have something that will work better.
But at this point, there are a bunch of people having bugs with any energy saver application, which is funny because this board was made to save energy; and all of the energy saving features malfunction, (except the fan speed).
Giga GA-MA790FXT-UD5P, Phenom II 945 X4, Gskill 4GB, Coolermaster, Sapphire HD4870, Velociraptor HDD, 7 fans, Antec 550+, Acer 24" LCD. "I tried Asus, then I bought a real motherboard."

Beekeeper

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 07:09:37 pm »
about energy saving  :-X

i have a few friends of mine who have their pc's switched on for 24 hrs / 7 days a week, like kind of servers  ;D
for me it's totally stupid in terms of energy saving, as they don't use these computers all the time, but maybe just want to have their AOL / MSN / other rubbish "social networking" accounts visible as active all the time

...and then we are all suddenly VERY surprised that California lacks power...

if only one of them turned off his pc for a night they we would save much more energy then all this energy saving software

just my opinion

tgawn

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 04:37:19 am »
Google 'PhenomMSR Tweaker' (if you got a AMD Phenom)
thats what your looking for
throttles my cpu from 3.8Ghz 1.4 volts, to 800mhz 0.7 volts
saving me money and fully customisable

Beekeeper

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 05:31:34 pm »
hi tgawn

thanks for sharing this info