Official GIGABYTE Forum

G1.Assassin 2 cannot access cd for raid drivers at 'Choose a drive' screen

RobD

Not sure If I've missed something with doing it this way, but at one stage I tried ejecting the win7 setup dvd and putting in the driver cd to load the raid drivers, but no matter what I tried I could not get to the cd via the dvd drive?
Raid is on intel ports 0 and 1, dvd drive is on port 5
Just another curiosity, flash usb works fine.

RobD

Ok, this only happens on the Intel raid. Marvell raid has D: drive [cd-rom] in the browse list so installing drivers from the cd would work fine for the marvell chip.
This issue has been noted here as well
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?277355-X79-Storage-the-Intel-C600-series-chipset-SATA-RAID-Controller

RobD

Finally figured this one out!  :)
It has to do with the point at which the browse dialog appears.
With boot drive/s connected to the marvell chip, you get the eula first then the customiize/upgrade screen then the browse dialog pops up, at which point the dvd drive will be available.

With boot drive/s connected to the intel chip, you get the browse dialog before the eula and at that point the dvd drive is not available, no doubt because it hasn't loaded an extension and sata system driver at this point to make the drive appear as D drive.
I haven't been able to test this on the assassin board, but on another board I have with the same hardware, if you have both the intel and marvell in raid and your booting over the marvell, you can browse first to the intel raid driver on a flash drive and let it load that.
Then you will get the eula and customize screens, then you can click 'load driver' on the next screen and the dvd drive will now be available.

This is one for MS and Intel to sort out between themselves.