Official GIGABYTE Forum

G1.Sniper M3 - problem with onboard audio

mvil

G1.Sniper M3 - problem with onboard audio
« on: July 12, 2012, 06:09:45 pm »
I just got my brand new G1.Sniper M3 motherboard installed, and I'm having some problems with the onboard audio. It sometimes just makes a weird noise no matter what I play and the sound is loud even if I have set the volume to zero on Windows. I'm attaching a recording of what it sounds like. After one or two restarts the problem usually goes away, but next time I boot up it always comes back.

What could be causing this? Is the motherboard broken? Other than this problem the system is working very smoothly, and there is no sign of any physical damage on the motherboard...

I have installed the latest bios (F7) but that did not help.

Edit: just wanted to add that even when I have managed to reboot and get the sound working, if I set the computer to sleep and then wake it up the problem is instantly back again... :(
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 08:35:36 pm by mvil »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: G1.Sniper M3 - problem with onboard audio
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 08:48:05 pm »
Hi

Have you installed the proper sound card drivers ?

You haven't mentioned what hardware or software you have but assuming you are running Windows7 64bit here is the link to download the file:

http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4168&dl=1#driver

Also you said that you updated the BIOS. Did you use QFlash for the purpose ?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 08:49:23 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

mvil

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 09:30:26 pm »
Yep, installed that driver (Win7 x64) from the gigabyte website, and yeah I used QFlash to update the BIOS.

I just tried installing Ubuntu on a USB stick and booted into that several times, and did not get any sound problems. I guess the Linux driver is pretty basic compared to the Windows one, but I hope this result means this is just a driver problem and the motherboard itself is ok...

As for hardware, I've got i5-3570K processor, Radeon 7970 graphics card, 16gb ram... Also, no overclocking and default values loaded in BIOS.

Nerde

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 11:43:45 pm »
i to have the same problem, audio sometimes sounds like its in a tincan also the microphone sometimes stops working and i need to switch to another line in the creative software and the switch back in order for the microphone to work.

Seems like this is a software issue and it would e nice if Gigabyte could fix it (the buildt in sound card was the thing that made me choose the MoB so its typical that it doesnt work)

Wentworth

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 01:19:57 pm »
Good morning

You may have your audio set-up for speakers instead of headphone.  There are so many speakers on the market that it is impossible to know what is going on, some have a pre-amp some other do not.  Many problems can occur when waking up the computer when is set to sleep.

I have a Sniper 3 and had the same problem but bought a sound card instead of going in circle.  The sound that you provided is in my opinion a static ground loop (which might be caused by reverse polarity).

If you use SDD you should not use the sleep/wake method, unless you are in such in a hurray all the time, a SSD boot takes 15 sec if you know how to control which TSRs are loaded.

Cheers

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 04:44:11 pm »
Hallo my friend, i have the G1 Sniper 3 motherboard with 16gb Dominator GT, GTX680 Lightning, i7 3770K, bios f8m and the last week i have the same problem, i have the board over 6 months but i have used it less than 3 and the problem started few days ago, as you said when i restart it goes away , if i put it to sleep it doesn't cause it to happen again but its something that happens 2-3 times in 2 days. As i didn't have that problem at the start, i hope to be just the drivers (also if it was the motherboard , i think it would be more permanent and wouldn't go by restarting the pc).
I use Windows 7 ultimate x64 , i will try to make a fresh install and let you know if it will fix the problem.
I also wanted to add that when in bios on the memory selectable table choose QUICK it doesn't let me change anything on the timings on the second channel,all the settings are grey. I contact Gigabyte and they said it should let me change the top 3 or 4 top  settings (which are the standard) on both channels A\B, something that isn't the case. I don't have blue screens or instabillity, i tried 4 different bios version and both bios chips i also tried other mamory. When i set it to expert it let me change everything as it should, Go figure right?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 04:46:23 pm by madstef87 »