Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z87X-UD4H PWM Question

Z87X-UD4H PWM Question
« on: December 05, 2013, 03:11:11 pm »
Hi,

I've recently built a PC on this board and I've purchased three PWM case fans since my older 3-pin fans weren't getting enough spin from the board. I understood the whole point of PWM to increase the fan speed when the temperature increases. I wasn't sure what temperature it worked off but it seems that it's the motherboard. Damn! That's not going to budge the fan speed by much since my motherboard stays under 30°C at this time of year. I was really hoping that the case PWM fans would work from the CPU temperature. Surely there is a way to do that? No, using the CPU_OPT socket is not ideal.

These fans, the plan was to run them at ~500rpm at idle and 1200-1300rpm at full load. I'd really like to cut the noise down when the PC is idle or close to it and I need more airflow when it's at load. PWM seemed ideal for that but if it's working off the motherboard's temperature, it's not going to vary more than 50-100rpm. I'm using EasyTune right now and graphed it out. They aren't varying much since my motherboard has been operating at 27-28°C at both idle and load within the last hour.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd appreciate anything. I've never dealt with case fans with PWM or a board that supported it on anything besides the CPU. Also this is my first Gigabyte board/system build, previously I'd been loyal to ASUS.

Re: Z87X-UD4H PWM Question
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 10:45:03 pm »
Disregard. I got rid of EasyTune (I only wanted it for the fans as I prefer to overclock and whatnot in the BIOS) and installed SpeedFan and it's doing just as I wanted. Problem solved!