Official GIGABYTE Forum

Graphite dust in the 1155 socket

Isislo

Graphite dust in the 1155 socket
« on: July 16, 2012, 06:14:46 pm »
Hey, I was wondering if someone could give me some advice

I incorrectly seated my cpu cooler and realised when I got really high temperatures when doing fairly un-strenuous tasks on the new desktop. When I took it off, I removed the cpu too so that it would be easier to clean the thermal compound off it and reapply the new one. Anyway, I bent one pin on the socket 1155. I got in a stress and quickly searched for a way of fixing it. The first thing that came up was some guide that recommended using a mechanical penicil, I failed to read the actual full article, which recommended taking the lead out and using the nib as a hollow with which to bend back the pin and instead used the graphite nib to nudge the pin back into position (or as near as I dare get it, it looks like it will align with the conductive part of the cpu assigned for that pin). Now, after doing this I realised I had made a mistake as graphite is an obvious conductor and likely to powder off. I don't think this happened to any massive extent, but there's a possibility I have rubbed two pins with the graphite. Now my idea is to try and clean the socket with rubbing alcohol (I only have mineralised methylated spirit in my house atm and the pharmacy is shut for the night). I'm a bit worried that the 1155 is way to delicate for a toothbrush though.

Any ideas?

Re: Graphite dust in the 1155 socket
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 11:55:11 am »
I have used a small fine point paint brush with a dab of brake cleaner to clean socket pins
Great for removing paint smudges
Alcohol isnt volatile enough imho
for bent pins -cocktail stick/needle and magnifying glass

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 09:12:41 pm »
Hi

A good blkast of compressed air should shift any residue from the pencil lead. You can either use a motor garage's airline or a container of compressed CO2 that is designed for the job. Personally I have an air compressor that I find invaluable for this type of cleaning as well as the more general cleaning of the whole case and fans etc. Another thing that I keep to hand is a can of Electrical Contact Cleaner which again will remove any contaminants without any harm to the board or components.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 09:13:36 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 12:06:11 am »
I have used a small fine point paint brush with a dab of brake cleaner to clean socket pins

Brake cleaner will attack some paints and plastics, so I'd want to keep that stuff away from a motherboard. Electrical contact cleaner or isopropyl alcohol would be the ones to use.