Official GIGABYTE Forum

AMD 900 series HOT northbridge owners club

Re: AMD 900 series HOT northbridge owners club
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 12:45:25 am »

Thermally conductive plastic ? lol

Not in this lifetime!

If there was a window cut out of it centrally maybe the chip fitted through there.  :-\

Yes there was a window and it had a thin square pad lined around it. The center of the HS was bare aluminum.

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 11:57:30 pm »
Well.. the hot weather is back and so is the hot NB. Its not as searing hot as it was, but still singes after a few seconds.

I am convinced that the main design flaw has to do with how there is only 2-3mm of aluminum sitting directly above the NB chip. Notice how the main mass of the heatsink is way off center ?

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 10:14:17 am »
Well.. the hot weather is back and so is the hot NB. Its not as searing hot as it was, but still singes after a few seconds.

Can you find the reading in ET6 or HWMonitor, or even a thermometer?

Remember, you will blister around 140F (60C) if you hold on to it long enough.  160F (70C) will usually blister almost immediately.

I am convinced that the main design flaw has to do with how there is only 2-3mm of aluminum sitting directly above the NB chip. Notice how the main mass of the heatsink is way off center ?

Is the chip lining up with the cut-out?

What kind of thermal paste do you use on the NB?  Use something non-conductive.

Being off center should be fine  as long as the whole chip is covered.

-=Mark=-
Lian-Li PC-Q06 GigaByte A75-UD4H AMD A8-3870K 8GB (2x4GB) G. Skill DDR3-1866 CL8 HD 6550D Antec 450 Platinum (EA-450)

Danger Den Torture Rack Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 i7-2600K 4GB (2 x 2GB) G.Skill 1333 CL9 XFX 6870 Double-D Sparkle 700Watt 80Plus Platin

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 02:52:12 pm »

Can you find the reading in ET6 or HWMonitor, or even a thermometer?

Remember, you will blister around 140F (60C) if you hold on to it long enough.  160F (70C) will usually blister almost immediately.

Is the chip lining up with the cut-out?

What kind of thermal paste do you use on the NB?  Use something non-conductive.

Being off center should be fine  as long as the whole chip is covered.

-=Mark=-

The NB/ system temp reading is not accurate or if it is, its not coming from the NB. 35-40c should feel cool to barely warm at best. It could be the VRMs or SB as they are always cool or barely warm. The bios, ET6, Speedfan ect. all read the same for what is supposed to be the NB.

The chip is obviously covered and lining up with the cut out. lol.. Its the design and weight that makes it so inefficient. And as I've already stated, I used Arctic Silver Ceramique. When the new thermal pads arrive, I'll be switching to AS5.

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2012, 09:06:30 pm »
The NB/ system temp reading is not accurate or if it is, its not coming from the NB. 35-40c should feel cool to barely warm at best. It could be the VRMs or SB as they are always cool or barely warm. The bios, ET6, Speedfan ect. all read the same for what is supposed to be the NB.

Software programs are all over the place.  most don't even say they're for the NB.  you just get a temp1, temp2, etc type reading.  You can pick up a cheap thermometer just about anywhere.  Try coffee shops, wal-mart etc.  they are used a lot for making espresso.

The chip is obviously covered and lining up with the cut out. lol.. Its the design and weight that makes it so inefficient. And as I've already stated, I used Arctic Silver Ceramique. When the new thermal pads arrive, I'll be switching to AS5

I wouldn't use AS5.  It has silver in it.  If you get too much it can get on other parts of the chip and cause problems.  I use MX-4, but the ceramique is fine and not an issue for you.

I wouldn't use thermal pads on the chip either they can run 10C hotter easily.  Use paste alone.

What happened with the copper heatsink?  or is that is what is giving you problems?

also, the design is just right.  It is common for chips to be made to run 60C all the time.  It is a safe temperature.  I'm sure it's the same reason you replaced your CPU cooler.  It was running a little warm so you replaced it with better as you don't get an option for better stock cooler like MB offer.  I know all of my Intel processors always have ran about 60C on normal load and around 70C on stress load.

Just because it is hot to your finger doesn't mean it is hot to the chip.  They can withstand very high temperatures.  They are not made of meat and start cooking at low temps.  100C for a lot of chips is not uncommon and a safe temp.  heat wears things down over time from heating and cooling all of the time, but your computer will be out dated before that happens.  This is why they charge much more for higher end boards.  You get a $100 heatpipe cooler included.

Luck
-=Mark=-
Lian-Li PC-Q06 GigaByte A75-UD4H AMD A8-3870K 8GB (2x4GB) G. Skill DDR3-1866 CL8 HD 6550D Antec 450 Platinum (EA-450)

Danger Den Torture Rack Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 i7-2600K 4GB (2 x 2GB) G.Skill 1333 CL9 XFX 6870 Double-D Sparkle 700Watt 80Plus Platin

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2012, 09:12:19 pm »
I would just like to say that Mark's answer was spot on and you should listen to him.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2012, 12:43:13 am »
I would just like to say that Mark's answer was spot on and you should listen to him.

What answer ?  ::)

Mark needs to read the posts a little more carefully before he responds. As I have previously stated, I have seen my fair share of AMD mobos and know what to expect.

Speedfan and other apps are not all over the place and always match what the bios temp readings say. I've run my current cpu on 4 other mobos and they all show similar CPU temps. If the readings are off, that means the bios has a temp offset written into it.

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2012, 01:27:29 am »
Here is my 3rd try with the thermal pad mod.

Turns out I used way too much the last time. Once compressed, the thermal pad material spread twords the NB chip and partially covered it ! lol.. This time I used about half the amount and its paying off.  It's gone from 'searing' to 'hot' and now it feels like a slightly hot cup of coffee. :)

The thermal pads that Leo from tech support sent me have arrived. BIG thanks Leo ! I will eventually try them out even though they are alot thinner than what I was expecting..
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 03:15:36 am by Hippie Tech »

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2012, 04:13:45 am »
I dont know the NB temperature of my sons GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ but it is pretty warm to the touch. I found a couple of asus chipset cooling fans laying around and it clipped right on the NB heatsink.  I hope it is helping to cool a litte better.  
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-Passive-Water-Heatpipe-CPU-Chipset-optional-fan-/300419396789?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f26434b5

« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 04:26:06 am by rscott521 »

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2012, 02:21:59 pm »
I dont know the NB temperature of my sons GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ but it is pretty warm to the touch. I found a couple of asus chipset cooling fans laying around and it clipped right on the NB heatsink.  I hope it is helping to cool a litte better.  
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-Passive-Water-Heatpipe-CPU-Chipset-optional-fan-/300419396789?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f26434b5

How does the heatsink feel now and what cpu HSF are you using ?

A few weeks ago, I put a 140mm fan inside the 5.25" drive bays and found out how sensitive this heatsink design is to changes in the case's air flow. I thought that the added air flow would help but it actually made things hotter. My theory is that the HS is creating a wall and thus ruining the normal air flow. Its as if the HS is not catching any air.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2012, 08:18:27 pm »
No offense HippieTech I just reckoned that Mark made some valid points like about using a thermometer instead of  "hot to the touch" sort of gauging.

How about using a movable fan on a gooseneck like I use on my testbench as you can change the direction and distance fromn the heatsink that way. Also you can use a far bigger fan that most of these chipset sized fans.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2012, 03:36:14 am »
No offense HippieTech I just reckoned that Mark made some valid points like about using a thermometer instead of  "hot to the touch" sort of gauging.

How about using a movable fan on a gooseneck like I use on my testbench as you can change the direction and distance fromn the heatsink that way. Also you can use a far bigger fan that most of these chipset sized fans.

None taken DM. :) Who needs a thermometer when you have logic and experience. xD

I have tried placing a stock AMD CPU fan near it and it didn't help. With 3 120mm fans above it, there should be plenty of airflow around the NB.

My main goal is to find some washers and bolts for the modded NBridge8 cooler. The uber thin pads, Leo sent, will work great as liners for the washers.

For LOLz, here is how (see pic) I dealt with the heat coming off the back of my old GTX 285. Yup, incense sticks. 8)

pEACe  
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 03:41:03 am by Hippie Tech »

davidbec

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2012, 02:13:27 am »
How would I be able to contact Leo at Gigabyte.

Thanks
Happy S1080 owner from Barbados

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2012, 02:51:36 pm »
How would I be able to contact Leo at Gigabyte.

Thanks

Why ?

Check out Gigabyte's U.S. contacts page or start a RMA ticket.

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2012, 01:38:05 am »
The thermal pads from Tech support are way too thin for the NB but perfect for the VRM heatsink. :) It used to get warm but no more ! wooot !

The pad from the VRMs is now being used on the NB heatsink and showing another slight improvement with the temps.

Tbh, I don't think things will get much better with the stock heatsink. It lacks the mass/design necc for proper cooling performance. Things really take a dive, when my room temp gets past 22C.