Official GIGABYTE Forum

AMD 900 series HOT northbridge owners club

Guy22

Re: AMD 900 series HOT northbridge owners club
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2012, 10:18:52 am »
Hi

I bought NCA-610 Serpent Northbridge. One review said the fan was noisy. From the look of it, I believe it is the only one that comes with the clips/arms long enough to secure the heatsink on the MB.

« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2012, 07:18:20 pm »
Hi

I bought NCA-610 Serpent Northbridge. One review said the fan was noisy. From the look of it, I believe it is the only one that comes with the clips/arms long enough to secure the heatsink on the MB.

Lets hope it will be a good fit.

I for one am done with this mobo and have decided to take tech support's offer and send the board in for a refund.

Guy22

« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2012, 10:40:27 am »
Refund? you are so lucky. Gigabyte tech told me the problem is not conclusive. Go figure!

I wonder if ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 wouldl be better? or in general avoid 990FXA chipset?

« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2012, 09:46:35 pm »
None of the other 900 AMD chipsets I've run/ setup get anywhere near this hot. So its definitely not a 900 series issue. I hope Gigabyte's r2/v2 version fixes that.

The board will be mailed off tomorrow and it will be missed because I have learned alot and have set many personal oc bests with it. NO complaints there.  :)

Had one final session before I packed it up.

Phenom II x4 960t @4410mhz 252 x 17.5, 1.5v, 2016 ht / 2520 nb
HD 7870 @ 1275 / 1375, 1250mv, +5% power limit .. or 10% ? forgot lol..

And for the record, I will continue to consider buying/ recommending Gigabyte products with all my future upgrades and builds. Its good to know the support is there, if/when you need it.

pEACe

Guy22

« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2012, 11:08:16 am »
Hi All,

Just flashed Bios to F9. Re-run Open Hardware Monitor. The Max. Temperature #3 is 88.0C with 2 VM sessions + Browser the web, and downloading over an hour without causing system shutdown. However, I can still cause the system freeze by running existing + more apps, e.g. running 2 additional video converter sessions.

The tweak in Bios F9 definitely makes the PC runs longer without shutting down . The current temperature #3 is 93.0C, with 2 VM sessions + browser. I have been running uninstalling a Service Pack on one of the VM sessions over 5 minutes. Then the temperature #3 drops to 80.0C.

Still waiting for NB cooler.

Guy22

« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2012, 12:23:04 pm »
The NCA-610 Serpent Northbridge arrived. Installation is a complete failure as I am unable to secure the heatsink through the provided plastic studs. Probably a better chance if I can secure the heatsink with the clip, but 990FXA-UD3 has no hooks that I can secure to. I am re-using the default heatsinks and replaced the thermal paste and pad (VRM) with Artic Ceramique 2. Tested with 2 x VM sessions, one installing software, browser and watching movie, the temperature #3 is at around 80.0C. No more 990FXA-UD3 for sure.

« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2012, 03:13:30 pm »
The NCA-610 Serpent Northbridge arrived. Installation is a complete failure as I am unable to secure the heatsink through the provided plastic studs. Probably a better chance if I can secure the heatsink with the clip, but 990FXA-UD3 has no hooks that I can secure to. I am re-using the default heatsinks and replaced the thermal paste and pad (VRM) with Artic Ceramique 2. Tested with 2 x VM sessions, one installing software, browser and watching movie, the temperature #3 is at around 80.0C. No more 990FXA-UD3 for sure.

That makes 3 chipset coolers that are not compatible with these boards. In case you missed it, the other two are the Logysis CC8/ Nbridge8, and the Zalman NBF-47.

I used to think that the stock heatsink was mostly to blame, but no more. After comparing it to my new mobo, I am convinced that the bios is overvolting the NB/ HT/ cpu and not reporting the correct voltage and temperature values.

If I'm right, and it is juiced, this will explain why the NB on my 990fx does not get roasting hot when the gpu is engaged and why it does not oc as easily as the 990-ud3 does.

pEACe

Guy22

« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2012, 10:16:16 am »
R.I.P.

I am forced to retire Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3.

« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2012, 01:46:38 am »
Sorry to hear that.

I would call tech support directly and insist they do something about it. You probably got the same guy I did when I first started my ticket.

gl

pEACe

Tiki

« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2012, 11:30:20 am »
Is widely known and accepted the fact that the UD3 comes with the crappiest HS of the range. That's just a fact whether people some people like to accept it or not.

Now, changing the even crappier TIM on it should be a priority for all owners of this MoBo.

I'm kinda screw because on Argentina Gigabyte has not real representation and the people from the tech support can barely understand Spanish and/or English let alone write it. So I can't really get any type of direct contact with them, only via my retailed which he refuses to accept any responsibility unless my board burns up because of the temps (quite literally).

Changed the TIM for me dropped almost 20C. Even though I left the outer pads on, thing that I will correct on my next clean-up.
I'm trying to find some proper "bolts, nuts and washers" to firmly secure it since at the moment I don't have any money to purchase an after-market HS for my NB, specially since they are quite expensive and rare on my whereabouts.

Lately is quite hot in my city (30c to 40c) and the highest I've seen my NB while gaming was at 64C (Albeit not horrible is still crappy, woulnd't mind seeing it lower, like the Asus counterparts of lower end MoBo's), usually is around 58-60C. Before I changed the TIM was almost peaking flippin' 80C on the previous heat-wave that my city got.
The fact that it also starts at around 50C as soon as I turn on my PC after like 12 hours is just plain crappy.

Like Hippie Tech, I also believe that there is a overvolting of the NB, like my CPU vCore had it to 1.475v by default (even as high as 1.5v with the LLC on auto), which is really stupid since my chip can run at stock with 1.275v.

I will start testing the minimum voltage for the NB these days, hopefully that will decrease the heat output a bit.

Thanks for making this thread and all the inputs and ideas, Hippie Tech.
Phenom 965 @ 4.0GHz 1.450v / NB @ 2800MHz 1.275v
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (F8)
G.Skill RipjawsX 2x4GB @ 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 1T 1.50v
Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
Intel SSD 320 40GB & WD Caviar Black 1002FAEX
Asus DRW-24B5ST
Corsair TX850M
Corsair 400R
Acer S232HL

« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2012, 05:51:33 am »
Is widely known and accepted the fact that the UD3 comes with the crappiest HS of the range. That's just a fact whether people some people like to accept it or not.

Now, changing the even crappier TIM on it should be a priority for all owners of this MoBo.

I'm kinda screw because on Argentina Gigabyte has not real representation and the people from the tech support can barely understand Spanish and/or English let alone write it. So I can't really get any type of direct contact with them, only via my retailed which he refuses to accept any responsibility unless my board burns up because of the temps (quite literally).

Changed the TIM for me dropped almost 20C. Even though I left the outer pads on, thing that I will correct on my next clean-up.
I'm trying to find some proper "bolts, nuts and washers" to firmly secure it since at the moment I don't have any money to purchase an after-market HS for my NB, specially since they are quite expensive and rare on my whereabouts.

Lately is quite hot in my city (30c to 40c) and the highest I've seen my NB while gaming was at 64C (Albeit not horrible is still crappy, woulnd't mind seeing it lower, like the Asus counterparts of lower end MoBo's), usually is around 58-60C. Before I changed the TIM was almost peaking flippin' 80C on the previous heat-wave that my city got.
The fact that it also starts at around 50C as soon as I turn on my PC after like 12 hours is just plain crappy.

Like Hippie Tech, I also believe that there is a overvolting of the NB, like my CPU vCore had it to 1.475v by default (even as high as 1.5v with the LLC on auto), which is really stupid since my chip can run at stock with 1.275v.

I will start testing the minimum voltage for the NB these days, hopefully that will decrease the heat output a bit.

Thanks for making this thread and all the inputs and ideas, Hippie Tech.

Hio Tiki :) .. and no probs.  8)

I was hoping this would encourage Gigabyte to work on this issue. So much for that idea.

In case I wasn't clear on this before, removing the foam (and the plastic lining) made reinstalling the heatsink a little tricky because the heatsink will easily wobble on the tiny NB chip with out the foam support. This also made it difficult to tell if it was sitting flush.

The temperature difference between my old and new mobo is amazing, btw. Check out my Bitcoin mining farm ! I added the 5850 2 weeks ago, the vf3000a.. just yesterday. lol

pEACe

I think this officially makes me a Zalman fanboy. :p Pun intended. haha

OpenCL Bitcoin miner
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 05:55:37 am by Hippie Tech »

Vezina

• If it s not broken, fix it until it is !
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2012, 10:55:13 am »
What enhancements have you got after you ve changed the cooler on the chipset ,excepting the temperatures ?
The performance increased ?!
Over & Out !

AMD FX (APU-s included) users should install - KB2645594 & KB2646060 under Windows 7

1.ASUS Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 + FX 6300 + H60
2.MSI A88X-G41 PC Mate + A8 5600K + Hyper TX 2
3.Gigabyte F2A75-D3H + A4 5300
4.ASUS AM1M-A + Athlon 5150

« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2012, 03:26:12 pm »
What enhancements have you got after you ve changed the cooler on the chipset ,excepting the temperatures ?
The performance increased ?!

The lower temps mean that the potential is there. I will/should have a little more room to oc and/or performance if I add a third gpu.

Now that I have the 2nd vf3000, the psu's exhaust is luke warm at best. Its begging for more. lol

I'm running the stock nb cooler, btw.

pEACe

Tiki

« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2012, 08:25:01 pm »
Anyone knows what is the stock voltage for the 990FX chip or the lowest voltage that can run with? I would like to have some idea what voltages ranges to test. Thanks.
Phenom 965 @ 4.0GHz 1.450v / NB @ 2800MHz 1.275v
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (F8)
G.Skill RipjawsX 2x4GB @ 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 1T 1.50v
Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
Intel SSD 320 40GB & WD Caviar Black 1002FAEX
Asus DRW-24B5ST
Corsair TX850M
Corsair 400R
Acer S232HL

« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2015, 12:17:31 pm »
Hi and good day all. :)

Here's hoping that someone out there knows of a quick/easy solution to this problem that has plagued the AMD Gigabyte 9xx mobos.

My experience with the anonymous Gigabyte tech support rep was most disappointing to say the least. Comments like " the board has been validated.." and " There were thousands of these boards sold and no issue were reported.", did absolutely nothing to ease my concerns. The response I got from Runn3r was just as laughable.

Either the bios is overvolting the NB and/or the tiny heatsink is inadequete and/or these mobos have faulty wiring/construction that is causing this extreme heat.

As a last resort, I'll be forced to void my warranty  :( and use thermal adhesive to hold the Zalman NB-F47 chipset cooler in place.

Thanks in advance.

pEACe

HT

You can improvise with 40mm, 50mm or even 60 mm X 12mm fan and place it on top Northbridge heatsink. I dont like noise, so i divert some airflowfrom my Scythe Mugen2 tower cooler. I used paper,scissors,ruler,sellotape,and insulating tape.
The temps are acceptable now, I can hold my finger on NB without burn.
Here are pictures:
https://www.imageshost.eu/image/zIS
https://www.imageshost.eu/image/zId
https://www.imageshost.eu/image/zIt

Hint: If you use AMD stock cooler, you wouldn't have those issues with high NB temps and hot VRM's , because stock CPU cooler blows air BOTH ON CPU AND SOCKET SURROUNDINGS. But, stock cpu cooler performance is crap, i don't use them since 2006.

My specs:
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
AMD FX 6300 @ 4.4 GHz
12GB RAM
Gigabyte Radeon R9 280 OC 3072 MB GDDR5

Everybody are welcome to join my Facebook group Overclocked Caffe
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1532630213633043/

Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 12:35:22 pm by Antonio1941 »