Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-P55A-UD4 setup issue

oggmonster

• I can see Russia from my house
Re: GA-P55A-UD4 setup issue
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 10:23:00 am »
Can't see anywhere if you elminated the possibility of it being the PSU?? If not make sure your PSU is definatly okay. I don't know why Gigabyte are taking so long to reply to their support tickets :(
There's no place like ::1

PeterK

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 11:15:48 am »
Can't see anywhere if you elminated the possibility of it being the PSU?? If not make sure your PSU is definatly okay. I don't know why Gigabyte are taking so long to reply to their support tickets :(

No, I haven't. Looking back over my earlier posts, I asked about the following from the manual, which confused me somewhat: "When using a power supply providing a 2x4 12V and a 2x12 power connector, remove the protective covers from the 12V power connector and the main power connector on the motherboard."  I don't recall seeing a protective cover, am I being silly and missing something obvious here that could be preventing the juice from reaching the CPU properly?

Relishing the idea of taking out my old PSU even less than I was taking out the old graphics card to test with the new setup!  :o

PK.

oggmonster

• I can see Russia from my house
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 12:23:24 pm »
Not sure could you take a picture so I can see? You may also want to purchase a PSU tester, I have this one http://www.kikatek.com/product_info.php?products_id=44221&source=froogle though better ones are available. But that does me fine tbh :) If you do purchase one, make sure you unplug all power connectors and plug the 24pin into the tester.
Failing that its going to be a case of putting the PSU into another machine ;)
There's no place like ::1

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 01:49:54 am »
hi there on your motherbored you have to power supply sockets one 6 pin and the big squire one .do you have both of there,s connected

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 02:00:46 am »
sorry ill repost this bit tied lol ...on the motherbored there are 2 power supply sockets one 6 pin thats on the top left of your mobo...this needs to be pluged in as well as the big 28 pin socket... what it sounds like to me is there there is no power going to the pci exspresss socket as ive got the same kit at you.is this your first pc buid? ..make shore when you power on that you just have the basic stuff in ie grafix card memmory see if you can get it to post...if this does not work make shore nothing is touching the bored as this could be shorting it ,as it will not swich on ,,,

PeterK

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2009, 10:20:30 am »
Thanks for the response Gary, but yes, had  both power cables plugged in (that bit me the last time I built a PC about 4 years ago,didn't realise you  needed to do both, so almost RMAed everything before someone told me to try that!)

BUT!

It's working now! I've put some Corsair memory in instead of Crucial, and I'm getting to the bios now. I took a look at the stick of memory I got separately to try and get things working, and that too was Crucial. So it looks like what I read elsewhere on the interweb was true, that these boards sometimes have issues with Crucial.

So, on to setting up the rest of the machine now :)  Thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated!

Cheers,

PK.

Pottypete

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2009, 10:54:12 am »
Hi,
Happy you eventualy got it sorted,
Merry Xmas

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2009, 04:06:48 pm »
cool glad you got it working when first think you need to do is update the bios

PeterK

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2009, 04:46:20 pm »
cool glad you got it working when first think you need to do is update the bios

Yup, updated to F6 this afternoon.

Only one curiosity - I have two 2GB sticks of memory inserted, but it seems to only report 2GB total. Probably a stupid question, but dual channel doesn't halve the amount of memory you have does it? (Researching this as I type, so hopefully I answer my own question!)

Cheers,

PK.

PeterK

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2009, 12:00:13 pm »
Spent a bit of time looking into this, have flashed back to F5 and it's still the same. Only have 2GB registering from the BIOS, even though 4GB is installed. Looking at the M.I.T, it says that only the 2GB from slot 3 is enabled. It's registered the memory in Slot 1, but it doesn't seem to have it enabled. Windows 7 can also see that 4GB is installed, but only 2 is available.

Am I doing something wrong with the settings? I'm so close to having it all working OK!

Cheers,

PK.

Pottypete

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2009, 12:08:09 pm »
Hi,
Have you tried msconfig, boot ini, advanced, memory settings?
Just a thought, Cheers

PeterK

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2009, 03:07:36 pm »
Hi,
Have you tried msconfig, boot ini, advanced, memory settings?
Just a thought, Cheers

Yep, checked that out, no max memory set. It seems like the BIOS itself hasn't enabled the other 2GB, and it's not filtering through to the OS. The POST only reports 2GB - is that normal?

PK.

Pottypete

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2009, 03:25:06 pm »
Hi
Have you got the Ram in the correct slot?,
Have you got dust or fluff in the slot?
Is the ram seated correctly?
Reverse the Ram sticks?
Have you checked your ram with Mem test?
Does CPUZ show 4gig?
Cheers

PeterK

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2009, 03:33:20 pm »
Ram is in slots 1 & 3 as per the instruction manual. In the M.I.T screen, it can see both 2 GB sticks, but only 1 is listed as enabled.

Will try reversing shortly and see if it helps - has this been known to make a difference before?

CPUZ shows 4GB installed, 9-9-9-24, 2T command rate, 88 tRFC, FSB:DRAM 2:12, and DRAM frequency of 799.5 MHz (which at double rate makes 1600, so that seems ok).

Let me try that reversing and see how it goes...

PK.

Pottypete

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2009, 03:42:13 pm »
Hi,
I don't have a bios screen for your mobo,
But I have never seen a setting for disabling/enabling memory!
Can only suggest you update to the latest bios, if your not running it already?
Have you tried a cmos reset, pulling the power lead and setting up again in bios?
Still think you got a dodgy stick, Pete
Cheers