Official GIGABYTE Forum

windforce GTX 670 in Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 Black Screen Hard Reset Crashes

Hi,

Have a windforce GTX 670 in a Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 as per title and all it does is crash without fail everytime I try to run a game, about 5 mins max and sometimes after 30 secs. All crashes result in a black screen with pc totally frozen requiring a hard reset. Have tried all the latest NVIDIA drivers even the Beta's and nothing works, have even tried updating the GPU's bios from the initial F2 to the F4 update, even a clean install of win 7 64 bit did nothing to solve this issue. Does anyone have any idea of how im going to solve this issue? is there anybody out there using the same configuration as me and having no issues? Thanks for any input guys...

Altair

there are other people with this issue in this topic http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,9144.0.html
hopefully the crashes will be fixed with a bios update, but there aren't official communications so far.
If your motherboard bios allows (mine does not :( ), try to set the pcie speed at 2.0 instead of 3.0. It looks like the card have problems running on PCIE3.0 16X but it works fine at lower speeds.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 09:03:44 pm by Altair »

Hi Altair thanks for the response - saw that thread you linked to the other day and the strange thing is my motherboard has a gen 2 pci express bus so this issue shouldnt affect me, but I do have one of the cards from the states so am wondering if I just have a dud card because apparently the majority of the problem cards originate over there, sounds like i'm going to have to RMA if this issue isnt sorted out with a bios update. I noticed your screenie and it was garbled when your card crashed, i've never had that problem during a crash it's only ever gone to a blank screen or a frozen one, needing a hard reset to solve the issue - computer totally unresponsive. Please sort this issue out soon Gigabyte i've been forced to downgrade to my radeon 5750 because of this after throwing 400 dollars at this card which is sitting back in its box, this card has been out over 2 months now???

Altair

That is strange, usually running 2.0 or 8X solve the problem.
If you have the opportunity to test the card on a 1.1 motherboard it would be interesting.
The crashes of my 670 were very different from one to another.
I had the garbled screen only twice, both the same day, one while playing skyrim, the other while working on photoshop (losing half of the work)
Often I had a lagging pointer at desktop and extremely slow system. Other times I had a freeze and a few second later a black screen and a buzz sound. Sometimes the drivers recovered, but often the pc needed an hard reset.

Sorted my problem, wasn't the graphics card it was the 1155 "X" clamp holding down my thermalright ultra 120 - word to the wise, If you own a Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 be very careful when screwing down this heatsink onto this motherboard or any heatsink that uses that "X" clamp thing to attach it, as this motherboard channels 4 of the memory tracks from the dimm slots to to cpu socket directly under one of the holes you screw the cpu heatsink into, in my case after installing/removing the heatsink a couple of times for cleaning it caused the insulation to to be stripped from the surface causing three of these tracks to get shorted by the "X" clamp bolted onto them. My solution was to make 4 plastic shims to go under each leg of the heatsink so that there can be no further contact between metal and the motherboard surface. Why oh why do motherboard makers continue to channel circuit lines close to or directly under screw entry points - it's just asking for trouble, I had that problem with Abit in the past, motherboards that wont boot simply because you screwed them into place and shorted them out in the process because the screw has stripped the surface of a circuit track and is now short circuiting that track directly into the case. There is an abundance of room to place these tracks so come on Gigabyte lets think a little before designing these boards in future - steer well clear of the cpu heatsink mounting holes when laying circuit tracks....
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 04:36:47 pm by crinklecut »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
I wonder how many others are suffering the same sort of problem due to issues like this.  :-\
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB