Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z68M-D2H mb losing drives

Z68M-D2H mb losing drives
« on: August 06, 2012, 04:03:25 am »
Hi, I hope you guys can help.

I've a Z68M-D2H mb... I believe is rev1.  Bios version F4
Intel Core7 3.4Ghz CPU (never overclocked)
8 gigs G.Skill memory
Boot Disk: Corsair 64gig Sata3 SSD
Data Disk: Seagate 1 terabyte Sata2
DVD drive (Sata 2)
Gigabyte Video 440 1 gig.

Now, the problem.  I've had this computer for 6 months without a single hiccup.  It runs 24/7, except for the occasional reboot due to Windows updates or software install or uninstall.  Today, apparently after a Steam update, it starts crashing.  Total freeze, nothing works at all.  Then, when I reboot, the bios cannot find any drives except the DVD.

After a reset, it will not find the drives (yes, both of them).  After a shutdown and cold reboot, it will find the drives, but my boot time is 4-5 times what it was before today.

Finally, it appears to lose the drives occasionally while the system is running.

If it boots, then both drives are fully available.  If it doesn't, then there is no boot at all.

I have:
1) Pulled it apart.  Made sure all the connectors were tight, free of dust, etc.
2) examined the bios, there appears to be no changes and changing the boot order and quick boot setup has no effect.

I am loathe to flash a new bios or anything like that before I understand what the problem actually is.  I had thought it was the Steam update as punkbuster appears to have a known issue with easy tune6.  However, I don't have punkbuster installed and I wasn't running easy tune at the time.

I can handle most computer work (I built this one myself), so feel free to make suggestions.  I just want to know what's going on before making major changes.

Thanks in advance

Re: Z68M-D2H mb losing drives
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 04:38:44 am »
I just updated the Intel Rapid Disk driver (whatever it's called).

The boot time and disk response time seem to have returned to normal.  Until it goes a few hours without crashing I'm hesitant to say it's fixed, but it's a promising start.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 08:29:28 am »
Hi

Well hopefully you have found the cure for your problem but I can't say that I am surprised at what caused it. Steam and some other similar type programs can cause issues and then just leave you to fix them. You have done the right thing though and the best way is to update everything in these circumstances.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 01:35:36 pm »
Well.  That didn't help.

Still can't find drives on reset.  Cold boot the bios can find the drives, but it doesn't seem to last for more than an hour or two.

I cleaned out the case, so it's free from dust, etc.  Made sure all the wires were in (again).

The Intel Fast Drive or whatever it is, seems to have reset the speed, so I'm back to getting decent throughput.

FInally, I can't figure out how to flash the bios since none of my drives are FAT32. 

I can't imagine how a steam update totally fried my entire system?!?!?  I do have a call into them.