Official GIGABYTE Forum

GTX 580 Super overclock please help

GTX 580 Super overclock please help
« on: August 12, 2012, 03:03:14 pm »
Hi everyone.

This has been an issue that has been ongoing for almost a year now.

Basically I purchased the Gigabyte GTX 580 Super Overclock edition GPU. Since day of purchase, this model GPU ALWAYS emits an audible 'electrical buzzing/rapid clicking noise' that can be heard well outside the case. Please note, this noise only occurs when the GPU is stressed during games / benchmarking.

Now I've contacted Gigabyte many times over this, I've gone back to the store front, I've had replacements and repairs and still the same audible noise. The technician at the store front all confirmed it is definately coming from the GPU and has 'never heard it before'.

Later on I decide to ask Gigabyte via their support site and made a ticket requesting I may be able to go through the RMA process directly with Gigabyte rather than going back to the place of purchase (In Australia, we have one year warranty but have to go back to the place of purchase).

Gigabyte very kindly allow me to do so and I was put in contact with a Gigabyte Service Center here in Australia. They took over the issue, replaced components and one of  the other GPU's (I have two). But again the noise persists.

Now I should mention that the staff at the service center claimed that "all gpus of this model do emit this noise". I have never once come across a loud buzzing noise that can be heard over all computer components including a H80 cooler.

So to my question: Is this normal?  I was told by staff at the Gigabyte Service Center that it is normal for all GPUS (this model im guessing) experience the exact same sound, given the amount of GPU replacements and 'repairs' I've gone through, they all still do it...
Now I know coil whine is liken to a high pitch noise at high fps but this is an  'electrical buzzing' noise occurs with vysnc on and is louder according to how stressful a game is.

Please note, the gpus have been tested on multiple system platforms / test benches and it still occurs. I was asked at the service center if I could still hear it when I was there (they set it up for me to see if I was satisfied), but it was quite deafening in there given a dozen people in a small room all testing parts, but I was still able to note the noise (this was another time I was told it was normal for such to occur).

Once more, at the Gigabyte Service Center, the staff there informed me that all GPU's of model GV-N580SO-15I have the same 'electrical buzzing noise' and that it was normal for it to occur.

...Or have I gone insane?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 03:19:29 pm by mmarasco »