Official GIGABYTE Forum

New motherboard missing pin

New motherboard missing pin
« on: May 04, 2012, 10:23:34 pm »
Hello all

This is my first time buying a gigabyte product, a new g1 guerrilla x58 to replace my dying motherboard. I always inspected any new pc hardware for damages before I installed them. Removing the cpu socket protection cap I notice a missing pin. Contacted the retailer I bought it from they send me to request rma from gigabyte as warrenty excludes bent/missing pins and they want nothing to do with it.

I find most of the information I need on this forum, may have a few questions while I proceed with the rma process.
Will report back if rma was successful or not.

Have a great weekend everyone.
killmar

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: New motherboard missing pin
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 07:59:06 pm »
Hi and welcome.

Not a great start eh! Still these things do happen and it is more important how they are rectified. Firstly I would go back to your retailer that sold it to you and explain that under the consumer laws in this country you have rights and one of them is that any item has to be fit for purpose and this obviously isn't! Also inside 28 days you have the right to take it back anyway.

This is Gigabyte's official wording "GIGABYTE recommends for customers to first contact their vendors for faster replacement or refund transactions. If experiencing difficulties in warranty service through your dealer or place of purchase, GIGABYTE will attempt to resolve this issue."

If you still have no luck and don't feel that you want to push it for your rights I am sure that Gigabyte will happily RMA the board for you. Contact this address:

returns@gbt-tech.co.uk.

If we can be of any further help please just post back.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 08:00:07 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 11:25:23 pm »
Hi Dark Mantis

gonna keep it sort.
retailer check the 2 photo image, insisted that I insert the cpu and try it out, give them a reason to refuse warrenty or replacement if it dont work.
gigabyte check the 2 photo image, repairable via rma process, waiting for reply.

My one week off coming to an end, not going into too much details since all my plan for the week off have backfired and would take up extra time next week while I'm back at work. Just want it rma for repair and hopefully i have it back by 14th May so I can attend Diablo 3 Launch in London.

But thanks for the help Dark Mantis, I think I take gigabyte rma process since retailer insisted I try it out first and if all fail I dont want to waste time on a blaming game.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 09:52:46 am »
Fair enough. I do think it is unfair and even unreasonable for the retailer to insist that you put a perfectly good processor in an obviously faulty motherboard. Were they ready to replace it if it failed and needed replacing ?

Please let us know who the retailer is though and how you get on. We can vote with our wallets.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 09:34:51 am »
Just a small update here.

Received an email from gigabyte yesterday saying that the motherboard was return to them by courier "unable to deliver" (18th may). I wished gigabyte had email me about the despatch with tracking since the courier tried to deliver on monday and tuesday (14th and 15th may), which ended back at gigabyte on wednesday (16th may) and took them another 2 day to email me about undelivered. Side intercom to the flat is broken, I could of instructed the courier to use the main entrance on the left side of the building and no calling card, email or called was made.

Going to arrange it to be delivered to my friends house who live near by since his at home 24/7. Just hope gigabyte email me with tracking when its despatched so I can inform my friend what day to expect delivery.

Looking at the email, rma process was very quick fixing 1 missing pin. Gigabyte recieved the motherboard on thursday and it was desptach on friday next day, so well done there. But have to say that this is my first time I rma something which didnt keep me updated about receiving the parcel from me and emailing me item been despatched with tracking.

Last, I bought it from arbico computers, they sell full pc system on their website and pc components on ebay. I dont buy PC components over on ebay but since its so cheap for brand new and all postive feedback from buyer who bought the motherboard over a month period, I give in a bought it. Wanted the sniper but never hit my target price of £135 delivered, so I got the guerilla for £109 (inc del) .

One last question, after repair is made on motherboard, do gigabyte do a quality check to ensure that all parts of motherboard works? e.g. ram slot, pci-e, usb ports, sound ports etc.
Or they just repair that part and send it back.

Many Thanks
Ka

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 12:18:56 pm »
Hi

I am not sure so don't take this as gospel but I would think that they just check the part that was repaired and then return it. It would take a lot of time to check every available function on every motherboard that was in for repair.

It would make sense to send an email to let you know to prepare for the delivery of the package. I don't know why this wasn't done, maybe just an oversight.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 05:06:07 pm »
I have just been chatting to the head of the returns section, the Returns Admin and he explained about the testing and returns procedure.

....after any item is repaired all items are put through a testing procedure because after any repair, we do need to know the repair was successful and the only way we can do this is by full testing.

and just to clarify the position on letting the owner know when a motherboard is due to be returned to them apparently it is just not feasible to let everyone know because of the logistics involved.

....I would not have enough time to do so. It is always hard for our courier City Link to deliver to apartments as some (as in this case) have secure entrances and if there is nowhere to leave a calling card without gaining entry to a customer’s post box, there is very little they can do. We always recommend customers use a work address for deliveries/collections as 95% of the time most residential customers are at work by the time our courier calls.

So I hope that helps clear up those issues rather than my guesswork which was not so accurate this time.  ;)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 05:33:05 pm »
Thanks Dark Mantis for the info

Gigabyte also email with tracking number which they usually dont once the repair is done and shipped. Now I can pass it on to my friend when to expect delivery at his house since the courier would most likely used the same damage side entrance at my flats.

Mostly likely to buy gigabyte products in future since I'm trying to buy parts thats have rma address within the uk to cut down time and cost rma within manufacturer warranty period.

Many Thanks
Ka

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 03:20:43 pm »
update

motherboard was sent on monday to my friends house, was tracking parcel and expecting delivery on tuesday, city-link claim no one was in and left calling card, liars!. No calling card left, wasnt surprise since citylink always have been doing this but lucky my friend was in 24/7.

Anyway, motherboard come back refurbish (a few stratch marks but np), fitted in old system and now overclocking i7 930@4ghz 1.255v on air. Well done gigabyte, my asrock x58 extrem3 (first time using asrock and i hope i dont break any forum rules posting about another brand) can only do 3.6ghz over 1.3v.

Last, many thanks to dark mantis for help and info. keep up the good work.

ka

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 12:01:24 pm »
Hallo,

In a socket, many pins are not important (60-70%) but they put for a good locking socket (there are just GND).

But if it's brand new, it's the best option send back.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 09:09:42 pm »
Hi kilmar

Only to happy to be able to help you out. Any other problems you know where we are now.

City Link are very poor when it comes to reliability. I have had the same problem with them more than once. In fact last time I was tracking it and according to the delivery driver he was out trying to get an answer from my house when he had really logged back into the depot over an hour before! What he didn't know was that I had already contacted head office mto complain and they klnew exactly what he had done. As you say they are quick to say they left cards but there is never one there.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

davidbec

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 01:16:45 am »
But Gigabyte continues to use them. Why?
Happy S1080 owner from Barbados