Official GIGABYTE Forum

990FX UD5 w/ Amd Chipset / Nvidia Graphics

990FX UD5 w/ Amd Chipset / Nvidia Graphics
« on: July 06, 2012, 12:31:36 pm »
I cannot find my chipset driver for this board without the AMD graphics driver mandated install with it.

The problem is my machine is highly allergic to AMD Graphic Drivers and your as well off to run it through a tree chipper as to install one on it.  (It was a 5 month battle to draw this absolute conclusion.).

My chipset is now in need of a driver update and I cannot find one without it auto trying to install the graphic driver with it.  I have a Gigabyte 990FX UD5 board and two Nvidia 570 GTX Gigabyte 3 fan video cards.

The board is designed for AMD or NVidia cards so why is there not any drivers to accommodate?  or am I just overlooking it?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: 990FX UD5 w/ Amd Chipset / Nvidia Graphics
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 01:25:04 pm »
Hi there,

I have the GA-990FXA-UD5 with an NVidia graphic card and have not encountered the problems you seem to have experienced.

With the AMD Drivers they usually install only the components needed for the motherboard but you can do a custom install and untick the graphics option in Catalyst Control Center so they are not installed, to try and avoid any issues.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 04:28:10 am »
Well, I dont have the catalyst control center installed at all.  I may be just overly jumpy but I went through about 5 months of shear terror, 10 system total crashes (my software includes Adobe Master Suite, MS VS 2010 Ult and many more, a rebuild is about 22 hours), and countless debugging hours.  I was finally able to convenience the good people at Gigabyte to send me two Nvidia cards to try and see what would happen. I took out ATI drivers, put in Nvidia cards, installed drivers and have not looked back.

Would you mind to provide a link to the chipset drivers you are using?  I hit custom on the ones I got and it doesn't give any tic boxes for what it installs only lets you choose where.

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 03:16:02 am »
I'm not sure what you are installing, but graphics drivers do not come with the chipset drivers  they are two separate files.

anyway, here is a link to the newest chipset drivers.
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/raid_windows.aspx

Luck
-=Mark=-
Lian-Li PC-Q06 GigaByte A75-UD4H AMD A8-3870K 8GB (2x4GB) G. Skill DDR3-1866 CL8 HD 6550D Antec 450 Platinum (EA-450)

Danger Den Torture Rack Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 i7-2600K 4GB (2 x 2GB) G.Skill 1333 CL9 XFX 6870 Double-D Sparkle 700Watt 80Plus Platin

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 02:30:59 pm »
Finally got it all figured out.   I think I was jumpy by the AMD CCC when it scanned for the graphics drivers, I was shutting it down before it showed it wasn't going to install it.

I have had such problems with this PC I was ready to throw it out he window.  Then, Like an angel investor in the night, came Windows 8.  A quick install and all of a sudden this machine took off like a banche and hasn't looked back since.

The flex actually will flex to the full 4.2ghz, data moves from one drive to another at an average of 350mb/s and the SLI and Cuda Technologies are working for me now.  Also instead of fighting everything constantly to try to get regular day to day operations to work...  It all just works.

I have read some Win 8 complaints when upgrading from 7. Highly suggest a clean install.