Official GIGABYTE Forum

990fxa-ud3 motherboard BSOD on windows splash

990fxa-ud3 motherboard BSOD on windows splash
« on: August 15, 2012, 09:10:31 am »
Hey there, I'm hoping someone can help me out with this problem, it's driving me crazy.

Before tonight my computer was working perfectly, but I ran into some issues with a new game and read multiple places that the 990fxa-ud3 series with older firmware has trouble with the AMD fx cpus. So I flashed my 990fxa-ud3 mobo from q-flash with version f8 firmware. My previous firmware version was f5. I used one flash drive to back up my current BIOS, then flashed from a second USB drive and it went flawlessly, verified ok. I reset to optimum defaults and rebooted. This is where the problems started.

When I try to boot windows 7, it freezes for a second on the splash screen, then it gives me the BSOD for a split second and reboots. Unfortunately it reboots so quick I can't read what the BSOD says. A couple times after it gave me the loading OS message, it claimed that it couldn't read from disk.

I've tried loading fail-safe defaults in the BIOS, I've tried resetting the CMOS, I've tried updating to the f9b version of the BIOS, I've tried rolling back to the backed up version of the BIOS, I've tried system restore, start up repair, I've dug through the BIOS settings thinking there must be something awry, but I've found nothing that would produce this kind of problem.

My system is a 990fxa-ud3 motherboard with 12gb of xms3 Corsair RAM, an AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz 8-core processor and a GeForce GTX 560 video card. I've got a Seagate SATA internal hard drive, and a Plextor SATA DVD drive.

Please help! Any input would be appreciated.

Re: 990fxa-ud3 motherboard BSOD on windows splash
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 09:14:04 am »
Oh yeah, I should mention I also tried to start Windows in safe mode, and it stops on classpnp.sys

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 09:50:55 am »
So I got out my phone and took a video of the screen while booting so I could get a solid look at the BSOD. It's error message STOP: 0x0000007B (0xFFFFF880009A97E8, .... but it reboots so fast my camera can't catch the rest. Anyway, since I think this is a inaccessible boot device error, I looked into the BIOS settings and verified that I've been running my hd on Native IDE settings. I switched it to AHCI and then RAID just to test, and that doesn't help. The system won't even see my drives with those settings. I had to short the CMOS jumper just to get back to it freezing on the windows logo.

My hard drives are fine, they were working flawlessly before I flashed the BIOS. Are there some specific settings that I need to change, or is my mobo messed up?

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 02:15:09 am »
I ended up reinstalling windows and that fixed it. I don't know why boot recovery couldn't. In any case, this isn't the first time this board has proven severely unstable, I've had nothing but trouble with it since the beginning, and this is the second one that has displayed these kinds of problems. Flashing the bios should take 5 minutes, I don't know how it managed to fail so spectacularly at every turn.

I won't be buying from Gigabyte again.