Official GIGABYTE Forum

Did you know that setting BCLK to as little as 1.01 voids your warranty??

mikeyjames

• The most Verstile Vocalist on The Planet
Hi

I'm having problems with my board X79-Ud5 (3 weeks old)

Basically I now have a board where:
1. A cannot utilise memory to full speed due to BCLK issue (as soon as I raise above auto it causes ethernet problems - I blamed my internet provider initially)
2. Main BIOS is Corrupted regulalry
3. BIOS regualarly forgets boot order
4. Ehternet controller randomly drops out and requires reboot to start up again.
5. Problems with Video cards in second 16x slot accoasionally not registering

This is my reposnse from Gigabyte:

Thank you for your kindly mail and inquiry. Basically the overclock result will depend on your peripheral devices, and the hardware overall performance. It might be the system/hardwares cannot accept your overclock settings, and we will not guarantee any result caused by system overclocking.
I then replied (After setting all to default in BIOS and still having same isssues)

What are you talking about - IT IS NO OVERCLOCKED. I am unable to set BCLK to anything other than auto or Ethernet does not work.
BTW - the ethernet is your hardware device not some cheap device I purchased elswhere.
I have reset BIOS, reloaded BIOS, used the beta bios you sent, and the rpocess you mention below

Gigabytes next resonse:

Kindly note if you adjusted the settings which related to CPU/Memory frequency, then it is related to overclock the hardware. Sorry.

WHAT A JOKE!
Intel 3930k @3.4Ghz; 16GB Corsair 2133 @ 2133 9-10-10-22 ; 2 x Gigabyte GTX 680 SLI; Corsair H100 cooling; Case - Thernaltke Chaser; Corsiar 1200w Power

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Hi

I am surprised by by the response that you have been given by your local Gigabyte centre as it is not what we have come to understand here. Maybe it is purely a case of someone not understanding the policy or just a different area has seperate guidlines to us. I think I would advise you to get clarification of this preferably from Taiwan.

I am afraid that we cannot help in your case as you do not come under our area. Please let us know how you get on however.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

mikeyjames

Thanks for the repsonse.

The scary part is that these responses are coming from http://ggts.gigabyte.com.tw/

So I assume this is actually Taiwan.

Pretty scary stuff.

Regards

Mick
Intel 3930k @3.4Ghz; 16GB Corsair 2133 @ 2133 9-10-10-22 ; 2 x Gigabyte GTX 680 SLI; Corsair H100 cooling; Case - Thernaltke Chaser; Corsiar 1200w Power

mikeyjames

Hi again,

I've actually now lodged a complaint with Fair Trading in Australia, especially given the comments below when they advertise the board:

Utilizing a brand new Digital PWM controller, GIGABYTE's 3D Power features precise Auto Voltage Compensation to deliver a steady flow of power to the CPU and memory no matter the loading. This all new, all digital power system provides enthusiast users with exceptional control over the overclocking potential of their GIGABYTE X79 motherboard

Digital memory control allows users to monitor and record DDR power and current in real-time while gaming, overclocking or at idle. Users can also set OVP (Over Voltage Protection) to safeguard your memory, adjust memory Load-line Calibration to fix memory vdrooping for a quicker response time and adjust memory PWM frequency on-the-fly.

Users can now enjoy a fully interactive 3D utility that facilitates adjustment of the 3 dimensions that control the power delivery to your CPU and Memory: Voltage, Phase and Frequency. These parameters are crucial to how the digital PWM supplies power to critical areas of the motherboard and can help users quickly obtain the highest, most stable overclock.

Advanced mode provides a more comprehensive UEFI BIOS environment that is designed specifically for overclockers and power users who want maximum control over their PC's hardware. GIGABTYE's signature M.I.T. tuning technology can be found alongside fully configurable parameters for GIGABTE's all new digital 3D Power engine. In short, advanced mode combines the signature GIGABYTE BIOS expertise you’ve come to expect, wrapped a slick, new and optimized graphical UEFI interface.

So they advertise this and deny my claim for the same reasons

Cheers

Mick

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
As I previously mentioned this is quite the opposite to what we have been told over here in the UK. I think that whoever you are dealing with has their wires crossed or is just guessing at the policy.  I would agree that there are certain "sensible" limits but as long as users overclock within these areas there shouldn't be any problem`as far as I know.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 10:17:41 am by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

EdWh

From EdWh.
Hi Dark Mantis.

You should not be surprised at this.  I purchased my X58 with the Marvel Chipset to run the Sata Drives at Sata 3. (6.0gb) which Gigabyte adviertized and sold that the board would run the drives at Sata 3 on lthe marvell chiplset.    Nothing was further from the truth even with a Sata 6 1tb drive it never ran over over Sata 3 (300 gb) and never will., I had to connect the drives to the Intel sockets to run at Sata 3.    They lied then and will lie again to anyone if it effects their bottom line.    They gained a salle but lost a customer, I will never again buy a Gigabyte product.    They eventually will go the way of Abit, down the drain.   
If any Company who depends on sales of products to customers lies to maintain sales it will catch up with them so be prepared if you use their producrts they will liie to protect their bottom line again and again.    It is really a shame as other than this Sata defect the board is excellent, but it cost me at the time $200.00 to buy two Sata 6 drives I could neve use as intented and advertized and sold that they would preform. 

mikeyjames

Hi all

Well guess what. Tech support have finally admitted that the frequency/ethernet throttle is real.

They are looking into whether a BIOS update will fix the issue.

Given all my other problems Gigabyte Australia has agreed to replace the board.

They have also stated that if the ethernet issue cannot be fixed they will supply a new ' Thunderbolt' board. They were going to supply the new model but I said - which is the truth - I can't keep working on such an unreliable PC for 4-5 weeks until new model is released

Sad, but it does seem that it took some intervention my State's ( NSW Australia) Fair Trading Department. Two days after filing the online complaint - which included Gigabye advertising and tech support replies re overclocking. - I got a phone call from Gigabyte ;)

Anyway, at least my headache is over

Wonder how many X79-UD5 owners who have OCd memory via frequency are unaware their ethernet bandwidth is throttled. Maybe like me on the phone to their ISP complaining why they are only getting a few Mb/s when paying for high bandwidth connections (100 Mb in my case)

Cheers

Mick

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
From EdWh.
Hi Dark Mantis.

You should not be surprised at this.  I purchased my X58 with the Marvel Chipset to run the Sata Drives at Sata 3. (6.0gb) which Gigabyte adviertized and sold that the board would run the drives at Sata 3 on lthe marvell chiplset.    Nothing was further from the truth even with a Sata 6 1tb drive it never ran over over Sata 3 (300 gb) and never will., I had to connect the drives to the Intel sockets to run at Sata 3.    They lied then and will lie again to anyone if it effects their bottom line.    They gained a salle but lost a customer, I will never again buy a Gigabyte product.    They eventually will go the way of Abit, down the drain.   
If any Company who depends on sales of products to customers lies to maintain sales it will catch up with them so be prepared if you use their producrts they will liie to protect their bottom line again and again.    It is really a shame as other than this Sata defect the board is excellent, but it cost me at the time $200.00 to buy two Sata 6 drives I could neve use as intented and advertized and sold that they would preform. 

I too was caught by this and in the same way had purchased a new pair of SATA3 6GB/s Western Digital Black drives to enable me to get the full speed out of the RAID0 setup I planned. However after looking into this fiasco it was plainly laid at the feet of Marvell's 9128 chip and affected the whole industry not just Gigabyte. There have been many driver upgrades and BIOS updates but nothing would help with this problem. However I do feel that it was wrong to blame Gigabyte in entirety as they only tried to utilise the performance of the Marvell chip which was impossible.  I too was left with a couple of expensive SATA3 drives that only performed like SATA2 properly on the Intel ICH10R ports.

Hi all

Well guess what. Tech support have finally admitted that the frequency/ethernet throttle is real.

They are looking into whether a BIOS update will fix the issue.

Given all my other problems Gigabyte Australia has agreed to replace the board.

They have also stated that if the ethernet issue cannot be fixed they will supply a new ' Thunderbolt' board. They were going to supply the new model but I said - which is the truth - I can't keep working on such an unreliable PC for 4-5 weeks until new model is released

Sad, but it does seem that it took some intervention my State's ( NSW Australia) Fair Trading Department. Two days after filing the online complaint - which included Gigabye advertising and tech support replies re overclocking. - I got a phone call from Gigabyte ;)

Anyway, at least my headache is over

Wonder how many X79-UD5 owners who have OCd memory via frequency are unaware their ethernet bandwidth is throttled. Maybe like me on the phone to their ISP complaining why they are only getting a few Mb/s when paying for high bandwidth connections (100 Mb in my case)

Cheers

Mick

Well I am glad to hear that you seem to have got it sorted out in the end Mick. Sometimes these companies need a nudge in the right direction to do the right thing.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB