X2 5600+ 2.9G
2 x 1Gb DDR2-667
1 x 400G SATA
1 x DVDRW
HD 4670
Antec EA-380
CM Centurion 5
Win7 Pro 32bit

Was spot-on until I swapped out the HD 4670 for an HD 5670 (I know not much of an upgrade - just had it laying around lol).  There now was a considerably longer delay before the system would POST (literally 3x or 4x the normal time) and playing games caused the system to hard-lock (either one of these would occur - screen frozen / white screen / black screen, only a reset or power cycle was the only resolve).

I swapped out the PSU for an EA-430 (despite the fact the EA-380 could easily handle it no sweat), same problem with lockups when playing any type of demanding game, and even after a full system teardown / inspection / rebuild.

Was about to try another HDD and reinstall Win7 Pro 32b, when I decided to check the BIOS firmware version and noticed it was F1.  Grabbed the F5 version, put it on a USB and ran QFLASH - which I have to comment on this - the QFLASH utility is bloody awesome, not having to set up a bootable USB...  All I can say is many cheers for this and kudos to Gigabyte.  Ok so where was I - ah yes, boot into QFLASH, backup the original F1 to the USB, flash the F5 version - problem solved.  The system POST runs really quick (once again), the system has no problem any longer under taxing games.

All I can think of is some type of PCI-E compatibility the F5 provided, and the F1 could not handle well.  Just wanted to put this out there and share in case anyone else has encountered a similar issue - I searched extensively, it could be my google-fu-mojo is on permanent holiday  ;D

Cheers all

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-M68M-S2P: random lockups when gaming - after gpu upgrade
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 07:36:27 am »
Hi there,

pleased you resolved your problem and I doubt your Google-fu-mojo is on holiday as trying to find a solution to these problems can sometimes prove impossible.

When upgrading hardware on your PC it is always a good idea to check the BIOS is up to date, as often (although they don't tell us) newer versions address just these kind of issues.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.