Official GIGABYTE Forum

Processor model / BIOS support

kosobai

Processor model / BIOS support
« on: August 05, 2012, 11:47:59 am »
What would happen if I tried to use a processor with a board shipping with the original BIOS version, yet the processor requires a later version?

Would it be able to POST so I could flash the board with the updated bios?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Processor model / BIOS support
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 07:47:57 am »
Hi there,

usually, if you try using a CPU which is not supported by the BIOS the PC won't POST and you need a supported CPU to be able to update the BIOS.

If you encounter a problem with a new motherboard and CPU, one of the first things to check is if the CPU is supported by the orginal BIOS for the board as many shops & on-line retailers have stock which were shipped with the initial BIOS.

Having faced this problem myself on a couple of occassions, I now keep hold of some older CPU's just for this eventuality. But, if you do not have this option then the best things to do, if you suspect that the BIOS may not support your CPU are:

Take the board to a local PC repair shop and ask them to update the BIOS for you, (usually there will be a charge made for this).
Borrow a CPU from a friend (not always possible).
Contact the supplier and arrange an RMA so they can update the BIOS for you.
Contact Gigabyte Technical Support in your area to arrange for them to update the BIOS for you.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

kosobai

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 08:53:49 am »
When I purchased the board, model AN75N-USB3, I picked up an A6 3500 APU. Alas, it was not the one I wanted, but it was the only one compatible with the F1 version of the BIOS. I played it safe thinking that an unsupported model of APU might lead to a whole load of hurt.

Even so, it won't POST - I noticed that the USB ports didn't even power up (no flashing light under the mouse), and I've tried two PSUs, one I know to be working, and I've tried switching RAM slots etc. Anyway, it's going back to the retailer and we'll see what they have to say.

kosobai

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 05:16:34 am »
Turns out that the RAM I successfully used in my GA-880GMA-USB3 board was incompatible with the AN75N-USB3 board and / or APU.

I think these Fusion chips are picky about RAM, and a chage of brand did the trick.