Official GIGABYTE Forum

How to update U1h BIOS on Z68X-UD3H-B3

How to update U1h BIOS on Z68X-UD3H-B3
« on: August 12, 2012, 07:16:22 pm »
I'm looking for specific instructions on how to update to U1h BIOS on a Z68X-UD3H-B3 rev 1.0, F12 BIOS.  Currently running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, with the latest Gigabyte drivers.  Most comments hint at using a bootable USB drive, but how do I create one if I don't have a copy of Windows XP?  Gigabyte states to use the utility attached to the BIOS, so Q-Flash or @BIOS do not work. I do have a DVD burner if that is an option.

Re: How to update U1h BIOS on Z68X-UD3H-B3
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 11:47:25 pm »
This will help

Code: [Select]
http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/27576-bios-flashing-how-qflash-guide.html
Look at the bootable USB and follow that instructions. However, my note to you that the new BIOS is not really stable, you might have different problems after flashing (mine is 2 USB ports don't work anymore), so flash it with cautions. Also, remove all the Gigabyte software before flashing new BIOS according to the note from Gigabyte as they might have conflict with new UEFI bios. Once you in this, you cannot go back to your old hybrid F.12 BIOS because there is no official way to do that right now; however, you can search for unofficial way but it is risky to try and you might end up damaging your board.

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 12:58:43 am »
Thanks for the tip and warning.

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 08:19:39 pm »

No way back is a scary thought!  Just to make sure I'm understanding this right, you are saying that neither BIOS update utility (flashspi and flashefi) will work to revert from the UEFI back to the F12 (or whatever) BIOS.

I think I'll wait if there is truly a way to return to a known working BIOS.

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 09:03:48 pm »
Hi,
I just posted the instruction of how I did it.   
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,9550.0.html

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 04:16:40 am »

No way back is a scary thought!  Just to make sure I'm understanding this right, you are saying that neither BIOS update utility (flashspi and flashefi) will work to revert from the UEFI back to the F12 (or whatever) BIOS.

I think I'll wait if there is truly a way to return to a known working BIOS.

No officially at this moment. However, as I said, you can try the unofficial way to revert back, although it is risky that you could damage the board. I could not have time to verify that method, but I believe it will work as long as you follow the correct instructions.