Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z77x-ud5h new build not doing anything when powered on. Help please.

I've just built a brand new pc build with i7 3770k processor, and motherboard z77x-ud5h. Plugged everything in, and tonight I put the power supply in. All I have done is connected the CPU with h100 water cooler, 16 gb (2x8gb) , I did connect a ssd hard drive too. The power was just connected to motherboard, CPU, h100 and two fans. It was connected to the ssd hard drive too, but I ended up with the same problem. I'm using on board dvi to connect to monitor.

When powered on, all fans start, h100 lights up, but nothing appears on screen. The bios light alternate between each other and the error code on the board looks like c or  g, which is also flashing. As the character is made up of 6 light to make a O, it looks like that with the bottom right light out. Hence me saying it looks like a g or c.

Does anyone know what is wrong or suggestions.

Re: Z77x-ud5h new build not doing anything when powered on. Help please.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 12:53:33 pm »
I have a simlar problem mate but with the z77-dh3 board, kept powering on then off then repeated it.
I've just rma'd the board.
Habve you tried removing the board from the case and trying that?
Cleared cmos?

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,9510.0.html
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 12:54:06 pm by ginge51 »

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 12:59:56 pm »
Hi Ginge51,
 I haven't tried to build it outside of the case yet. Another question on this site says something similar and the answer is that the bios isn't upto the right level to handle the processor. Use a older process to get the board working, flash the bios and then put the newer processor in. http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=8987.0

Which if it is true, that's just crap. Who has £200 processors laying about.

Tonight I'm going to try and remove and replace the same processor back into the motherboard. I might also attempt to remove the motherboard from the case and try to boot that way.

I'll update with new information, when I find out. Otherwise last resort is to RMA the board.

RobD

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 03:27:03 pm »
What ram arrangement do you have? Try pulling all but one stick and try again, if still fail, try another stick in it's place, even different ram slot.

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 10:48:16 am »
Hi, I've got feedback from Gigabyte and the problem is that fact I have a motherboard that although it allows Ivy Bridge CPU, it default bios only allows SandyBridge. Therefore to fix it I need to put a SandyBridge CPU in, flash the bios to the latest version, then install my Ivy Bridge CPU i7 3770k.
Gigabyte said I could return the board to them to be flashed.

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 10:32:40 pm »
Well gigabyte don't know what they are talking about in this case. Got hold of a sandybridge CPU and same problem. Noticed psu was very dim with built in lights, so tried a different psu and it booted up fine.