geekyadz

• In the land of the geeks
eSATA
« on: August 12, 2012, 12:47:47 pm »
Motherboard: GA-790XTA-UD4
Case: Coolermaster HAF 932
Operating system: Windows 7
"problem":

Last night I decided to have a "play" with my external hard drive encloser (Akasa integral series) on my eSATA ports.

I first tried the ports on the rear of the motherboard (JMicron JMB362 chip), which brought up the "safely remove hardware" icon in the notification area (which, as I understand it, is normal). Needless to say that the drive was working fine as far as I could tell.

However, using the same drive, cable etc but on the eSATA port on the case (which I currently have connected on the SATA2 ports - havent checked recently which one this is in), it doesnt show the "safely remove hardware" icon.

When I looked into this a bit further, it seemed that the "polices" for the hard drive was slightly different; windows had an extra thing under "polices"on the JMicron chip, but when it was connected to the eSATA on my case, it didnt show the extra policy.

Im sure I had this "problem" on my old GA-MA770-UD3 board (though it doesnt have any rear eSATA ports). Im just wondering if anyone else has this issue, and if not then has anyone got any ideas why the "safely remove hardware" isnt showing when its connected to the one on my case?

All of my ports are in AHCI mode, except for the ones on the Marvell controller, which are not being used.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 01:32:03 pm by cchaos »
Nothing to see here, move along....