Official GIGABYTE Forum

Software crashing upon connecting headphones

Software crashing upon connecting headphones
« on: August 24, 2012, 03:59:50 pm »
Hello there,

I have decided that this is most likely my last bet of hope, I have been facing an issue that I can't seem to fix for a few days now. It is very frustrating and caused most likely by the motherboard. I have described the full problem here.

As described in the title, I'm struggling to fix an issue, where upon connecting headphones both to the back and the front panel, applications begin to crash. One of them is a game. I've described the problem already to the developers, however they claim it's something to do with the sound. And they're probably right, because games and applications run fine, with no issues when headphones are disconnected from the jack.

I am currently on Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate and my motherboard Gigabyte Z77X-D3H operates a VIA HD drivers, which are up to date. Both back panel and front panel operate on the motherboard's sound card.

Additionally, I have a Sound Blaster Audigy SE soundcard, to which my speakers are connected. When I input the headphones into the Audigy SE's seperate back panel from the mobo, I input them into an orange jack, as this seem to work - only however partially. In the game, I can hear sound effects, but I can't hear any system sounds, music, in game music...

I tried changing the settings on Windows 7 default sounds menu, where you can configure Speakers to be Stereo, 5.1 Surround, 7.1 Surround and so on, but none of these seem to do the trick either.

After investigating further, I know for a 100% now, that it is the issue of the motherboard soundcard. Once I've disabled SB Audigy, I've connected my speakers to the back panel of the motherboard soundcard, and one of the games crashed to desktop with an error message.

Unfortunately, SB Audigy doesn't have a green jack at the back, this would mean that I'd have to connect Audigy with the front panel, and I'm clueless on how to do this. And this won't work either, as the front panel USB thingy has a different lead and won't go into the AUX_IN on the Audigy - it's too big.

It's driving me insane, and I don't know how to solve it. Maybe any of you will have some kind of an idea on a possible fix. I am really desperate and this is probably my last bit of hope. Where else can I get help if not here - after all I have a Gigabyte mobo.

Thank you.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: Software crashing upon connecting headphones
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 09:04:14 pm »
Hi and welcome.

As you have already guessed you need to disable the onboard sound (or remove the Audigy card) so there is onlky one instance of a sound component. You should have a header on the Audigy to enable connection to the front audio ports on the case. You may have to buy the correct lead for it if you haven't got one though.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 12:30:04 pm »
Thanks for your reply,

I have however removed Audigy from the system, uninstalled it and everything and I still had this issue. Do I need to take it out from the case as well as uninstall?

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 08:53:16 pm »
Yes otherwise Device Manager will just find it again straight away normally. Remove it totally.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

review my headphones
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 07:49:04 am »
Most computer head phones use a standard 3. 5 MM socket plug into. This means that you can use them in a wide selection of diverse utilities, including most portable media players, televisions and DVD players and just about any other    review my headphone
review my headphonesevery day piece of electronic equipment that allows you to plug in earphones. Other specifications to look for are the signal to noise ratio