Official GIGABYTE Forum

Random Beeping

Random Beeping
« on: January 15, 2013, 03:54:41 pm »
Hello,
I've been running the specs listed below for a couple of years now without issue. Temps are all ridiculously within range and no crashes or random issues except for this random beeping that started recently. It seems to be an alarm of some sort? but i can't find anything to tell me what for. BIOS settings seem to show nothing wrong and all alarms off... truly stumped.
The only thing that has changed?... computer shuffled maybe 2 meters to the west in my apartment. The beeping comes as 2 short beeps repeated 3 times.

Is there anything i can do to fix this? oddly it seems to come mainly when firefox is open, which makes little to no sense to me at all. I can do all kinds of things for hours at a time without issue... then it just starts beeping without rest. Windows shows no events of note. I figure the computer just wants a hug or something (yes, i got down and dirty into the box... nothing going on...)

What can I do to shut it up? It's not crashing or anything - i should likely mention that. stable for 2yrs now... not really OC'd, weird ram timings (normal for that type of ram) and core popping aside...

i should mention that i do have a 2 core popped open to a 4 (was tested for stability... no issues for 2 yrs now... same with the weird ram set up... normal for intel, not so much for this mobo, apparently) and that's why there's no temp read out. The cpu is sitting cooled by the same liquid cooling found in a thermaltake armour lcs tower, and the diode readout in the tube says the temp is never more then 5-10 degrees C higher then the room it's in... BIOS "pc health" seems to agree.

Operating System
   Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
   AMD Phenom II X4
   Deneb 45nm Technology
RAM
   4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (7-7-7-24)
Motherboard
   Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-MA785GMT-UD2H (Socket M2)   33 °C
Graphics
   SME2320 (1920x1080@60Hz)
   1023MB GeForce GTS 450 (ASUStek Computer Inc)   38 °C
Hard Drives
   466GB Seagate ST3500418AS ATA Device (SATA)   34 °C
   1397GB Seagate ST31500341AS ATA Device (SATA)   39 °C
   279GB Seagate ST3300622A ATA Device (PATA)   39 °C
   1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-9YN164 ATA Device (SATA)   34 °C
Optical Drives
   HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS50 ATA Device
Audio
   ASUS Xonar DS Audio Device

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Random Beeping
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 08:36:54 am »
Hi there,

2 short beeps would usually indicate an error with CMOS.

This could be the day, date, time being incorrectly set or something similar. Also it could indicate that the CMOS battery needs replacing and this is what I would do first.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

rebbae

Re: Random Beeping
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 12:46:25 am »
Try to turn off in BIOS the fan alarms. All except your CPU.