Official GIGABYTE Forum

78LMT-S2P problem booting from usb

ojs

78LMT-S2P problem booting from usb
« on: August 24, 2012, 09:21:56 pm »
Hey

I just got a new 78LMT-S2P motherboard and a new hard drive. I want to put Ubuntu on it but don't have a SATA cd-drive at hand and so decided to try USB pen drive instead but am having no luck with that.

Searching the web shows a lot of problems with booting from usb on gigabyte boards but not so much about detailed explanations.

Anyone here that is familiar with what needs to be done to boot from usb? The usb that I have boots fine of a dell laptop (not sure what hardware is on it) so it should be ok.

The information I have is that the BIOS is an Award 6, F1. By pressing F12 and getting a list of devices I see 4 USB devices (one being USB-HDD but selecting that does not help) but I also see a +HDD which when selected gives two other options but not the USB drive.

Any insight into this problem?

Cheers, Oli
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 09:23:50 pm by ojs »

autotech

Re: 78LMT-S2P problem booting from usb
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 04:41:39 am »
Pick each one till you found it i googled how to do it and mine works for me but i do remember it wasnt the usbhdd though you can do it that way but a different formatt and steps. Google how to make a usb hdd. This is a good article.

http://www.sevenforums.com/news/498-usb-hard-drive-bootable-windows-7-install-disk.html

good luck i know it took me a few tries and if i remembered how i did it i would tell you. I use windows back up anymore is easier for me. BTW if you are using windows xp it doesnt like them but you can still make it work if supported by motherboard.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 04:42:25 am by autotech »
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA

Potential Solution Re: 78LMT-S2P problem booting from usb
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 07:33:04 am »
I had the same problem.  I wasted alot of time searching on Google for solutions, but didn't have any luck.  It seems that the board will boot up once from USB on first powering on.  By this I mean plugging in the power supply, plugging in a bootable USB flashdrive, and then powering on the CPU.  You may have to press F12 and find the USB listed under +Hard Drive listed as a USB-HDD device.

Once the system has electricity, and has powered on once, it will not boot from USB again until the power is unplugged.

It seems to be a new USB feature to allow charging USB devices, like cell phones, from the USB port - and power is continuously supplied to the USB.

I know this reply is late to the OP's post, but it may help someone out.

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 04:12:40 am »
Hey

I just got a new 78LMT-S2P motherboard and a new hard drive. I want to put Ubuntu on it but don't have a SATA cd-drive at hand and so decided to try USB pen drive instead but am having no luck with that.

Searching the web shows a lot of problems with booting from usb on gigabyte boards but not so much about detailed explanations.

Anyone here that is familiar with what needs to be done to boot from usb? The usb that I have boots fine of a dell laptop (not sure what hardware is on it) so it should be ok.

The information I have is that the BIOS is an Award 6, F1. By pressing F12 and getting a list of devices I see 4 USB devices (one being USB-HDD but selecting that does not help) but I also see a +HDD which when selected gives two other options but not the USB drive.

Any insight into this problem?

Cheers, Oli

Sorry for the late quote, but hopefully this will help others.  Buy a Kingston Data Traveller G3 - mine's a 16gb ($12), then go to this site:  http://www.johnpapa.net/bootfromusb/

Done deal, works perfect, I've got a full Win7 install at the ready and installs in half the time a CD does.

Also, I created an incredible troubleshooting flash drive off an old Iomega one I had lying around using Hiren's boot cd .iso and Yumi.  Just Google both, and it's right there.  What's crazy about this rescue stick is that it can read, backup, and restore files and images on RAID0 drives, plus 1k other things.  Freakin' sweet!  :-)

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 09:36:29 am »
After setting your USB device as the first boot device, your computer will check it for boot information each time your PC starts. Leaving your computer configured this way shouldn't cause problems unless you plan on leaving the bootable USB device attached all the time.

rebbae

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 01:15:15 am »
Okay, I see you want linux on your PC. If you're running Windows, download L.I.L.I or LILU, it's an app that'll make a Live, Persistence Mode 0ff/On USB bootable disk, stick, pen, pencil ladida.

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

Now, after install of this app, it'll periodically look up for new distros, but I think the better is that you download yourself the one you want.

http://distrowatch.com/

Then purely run LILI and add the iso, format the usb pen drive, click the lighting and that'll be that. You have yourself a bootable linux (any distro or fork of=) drive. Now when restarting, press F12 in most cases, and pick the USB you just installed the distro too. If that's not working, for the time being (disconnect all your other USB HDDs) hit DEL when booting up and choose to boot from that exatct pen drive.
But then again, after restart, press F12 to be sure to boot from that drive.

Hope it helps.