Official GIGABYTE Forum

Booting to ACHI with new SSD

Booting to ACHI with new SSD
« on: March 05, 2013, 12:19:02 am »
I have an HP desktop Win7x64 Hm Prem with a proprietary mobo made by gigabyte with a AMD 970 chipset. My issue is when I try to boot up using the ACHI I get the ole BSOD. When I change it back to RAID it'll still give me a windows error but continue on to startup (after pressing CONTINUE of course) could it be because my OEM HDD was set to this and by migrating my OS over to the SSD that the drivers still think in RAID mode? I did try going to the registry and tweaking the msachi; pciide; iaStorV as follows:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\msahci]
"Start"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\pciide]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStorV]
 but this too did not work still got the BSOD. First off do I need to worry with the settings and just leave it in RAID mode or does booting to ACHI make that big a difference and if so how in the world do I get it to work?

Re: Booting to ACHI with new SSD
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 03:01:23 am »
After going thru and looking at all I could glean it seems the RAID set-up on this particular model is AHCI compatable and by changing the modes Win doesn't recognize the drivers for the OEM OS. Another funny thing I've found about this mobo is HP says contact Gigabyte and Gigabyte says contact HP. Nothing like being caught in the middle, same thing with BIOS updates.