Official GIGABYTE Forum

[SOLVED]Geforce 550 Ti automatically undercloks to save power and stays that way

manvis

Greetings. Purchased a Geforce 550 Ti card a few weeks ago and have a strange issue: when the graphics card lowers it's clocks in order to save power, their values sometimes (1 of 4 times) stay lowered until I reboot the PC.

Here's an example:

1. I use a 3D modelling package (e.g. Blender) to get some work done or to play a game if it's weekend. (all clocks of the card are running at their default values according to GPU-Z sensors)
2. After some time, I decide to turn off the GPU intensive programs and check my email or listen to some music (GPU-Z sensors show that clocks reduce to a fraction of their default values - power saving, I guess)
3. I get back into what I was doing in step one and am greeted by an incredible lag because the clock values stay as low as they were in step 2.

The only solution I found so far is a reboot, I do not have anything overclocked, my PC is otherwise running fine, matches all power requirements and etc. I also tried a full driver reinstall to no avail.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 09:28:48 am by manvis »

manvis

Re: Geforce 550 Ti automatically undercloks to save power and stays that way
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 09:28:25 am »
After some more poking around, I found out it's an issue with the current 301.24 drivers. Will roll back to older ones for now.

Sorry for posting without poking around enough, hope this thread helps someone.

anything