Official GIGABYTE Forum

S1080 Upgrades et al

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: S1080 Upgrades et al
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2012, 01:15:11 pm »
Yes, it does seem a bit of an added expense for little return. I sometimes think they have the attitude that "I can do it so I will...even if nobody wants it".
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Ray!

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2012, 11:38:26 pm »
This is one of the things that I could not understand in my review of the tablet. Why did they build a PCI express slot into the tablet that over half the perons buying it cannot use or are not aware of. Then add injury it is restricted in what it can do so even if you are aware of it there are only certain things it can be used for and those are very very few.

I think the reason for doing it was because they were being overly cautious. By limiting the BIOS to allow only fully tested devices to work with the tablet, they reduced the potential for technical support calls and any perceived liability for problems.

It's a bit dumb really, when their PC motherboards allow you to do just about anything and people are likely to do just that, so why limit the ability with a tablet, where the buyers are less likely to do unusual things unless they are confident. However, other tablet/notebook manufacturers do similar things.

That said, it is very dissappointing, as there is so much potential in the device, if only Gigabyte had opened up the BIOS for more flexible use. I'm sure a BIOS upgrade would easily allow this, but I doubt that we'll see anything of the sort.

What's also very dissapointing is that Gigabyte have provided almost no technical information (that at least I could find) on what's required to get the EM770W device to work fully, considering it's their only recommended device (other than then EM770). I actually contacted technical suport and all I get back was that there is no built in GPS antenna. Yes I know that, but I wanted to know what aftermarket antenna will actually work, surely they must have done some testing. Unfortunately they appear not to have done any of that, as this is the response I recieved to further probing:

Thank you for your kindly mail again. Please understand since we only guarantee to support 3.5G feature, it doesn't support GPS feature with S1080. Therefore, we only provide the driver which supports 3.5G feature. Sorry for the inconvenience.

And then to add salt to the wound, I can get the GPS in the EM770W to basically work with the Huawei GPS Applet, but I can't find any information on the Huawei site, or anywhere else for that matter, on what antenna is compatible so that the GPS will work.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 11:45:32 pm by Ray! »

Ray!

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 02:12:34 am »
Just as a final update on the GPS issue, I managed to find a technical document that gives heaps of information on the EM770W and it does not support an active GPS antenna, ie one that requires the common 3.0V. I did a test with one that I had and it certainly does not work.

I've scoured the Huawei web site for information on the exact type of antenna that would be recommended for the EM770W, but there is no English version, so I can't find anything that might be of help. So I just have call this one 'busted'. :(
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 02:13:08 am by Ray! »

bsalon

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 12:56:03 pm »
MODERATOR EDIT: copied text deleted
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 11:45:53 am by Dark Mantis »

Ray!

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 11:14:24 pm »
I've done the modification to the Registry that allows me higher resolutions, so I swap between them as necessary. As I use mine quite a lot for navigation, the standard resolution is ideal for clarity and readability.

I might also make a note that I contacted Huawei in Australia and explained my problem with the GPS antenna. They took note, advised that they'd escalate the matter as the help desk wasn't able to answer my queery and confirmed everything with an email. And that's all I've heard for over a month. I guess it became to complex even for them.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 02:56:55 am by Ray! »