Official GIGABYTE Forum

S1080 Screen Protector

Ray!

S1080 Screen Protector
« on: September 05, 2012, 12:58:30 am »
One thing I haven't been able to find anywhere is whether the screen protector on the S1080 can be replaced through a Gigabyte or aftermarket spare part. Mine's become somewhat worn and I wouldn't mind replacing it, but I haven't been able to find any source that provides such a replacement. It definitely comes off, as I can lift one corner quite easily. On the other hand, has anyone found a protector for another tablet that fits, but only needs minor modification for the mouse button?

davidbec

Re: S1080 Screen Protector
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 04:23:57 am »
If you do a search for "amcase screen protector" on amazon.com you will find a few.
Happy S1080 owner from Barbados

Ray!

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 10:02:51 am »
Thanks. I'll do some searcing.

Ray!

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 01:07:27 am »
I'm afraid that draws a complete blank. If I had just about any other tablet, no problem.

davidbec

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 02:58:32 am »
None of the 10.1s on Amazon would not fit?
Happy S1080 owner from Barbados

Ray!

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 05:37:11 am »
No, they are all the wrong size or too difficult to tell if they would fit properly. The closest that I've found has been one for a notebook, which is dimensionally exactly the right size, but will need to be trimed to provide the curved corners and mouse button hole. I've emailed the seller to find out if the protector is anti-glare or just clear. If anti-glare, I'll buy two and see how I go with the mods.

I also tried contacting Gigabyte here in Australia, but simply couldn't get through to the right department. I'll keep trying, but if they do sell a replacement screen protector, my guess is that it will cost a lot more than anything off ebay.

Ray!

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 05:43:19 am »
Today I received the screen protector that I ordered a few weeks ago. This is the one I ordered and it came with two screen protectors and a cleaning cloth: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Exim-matte-Screen-Protector-for-Lenovo-ThinkPad-X200-X201-X201i-X-series-/261092425963?item=261092425963&ViewItem=&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:AU:3160&nma=true&si=M6dN5I2U68EyvSBEqosTfeRMXuw%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557.

The screen protector is the exact size of the S1080 screen, but with square corners. I chose to do the installation in our smaller bathroom, as that is usually the most dust free environment in the house. I had a small dresser in the bathroom that was a perfect place to do the installation, so I cleaned that to ensure there was no dust on the surface. Then I ran the shower for a few minutes to steam up the bathroom, which would hopefully catch any dust that may have been in the air.

Once the steam had settled, I took all the necessary bits and bobs into the bathroom, which included a cutting board (that I'd cleaned and placed on the dresser before the steaming), a pair of scissors, a hole punch to suit the thumb mouse and the screen protector. I then removed the S1080 screen protector and laid it carefully over the new screen protector top surface (leaving on the protective layer) and then cut the round corners and put a hole in the new screen protector for the thumb mouse (I didn't bother with the camera, as I never use it). The original screen protector made a good template and I've saved it if/when I need to do this again.

The next part was the most difficult, as it always is. I tried to make sure that the screen was absolutely dust free, but inevitably a few spots carefully hid themselves until the screen protector went over the top and once there, they wouldn't come off. Following the instructions, which are fairly common for all screen protector installations, I placed the protector first over the thumb mouse and then proceeded to slowly roll the protector along the length of the S1080 screen. Using a credit card, I carefully pushed as many air bubbles as I could while lowering the protector, but invariably, I couldn't get rid of all of them.

Once I'd reached the end, the protector sat fairly well on the screen, but there were plenty of bubbles everywhere. So carefully and patiently I continued to push and scrape with the credit card and eventually managed to get rid of all the bubbles. Even the few dust spots that remained, ended up being fairly unobtrusive. One thing I found was that I hadn't quite laid the protector squarely on the screen and, along a few edges, the protector was resting on the rubber trim and wouldn't sit on the screen. I wasn't going to lift the protector off and start again, so I just lifted the edge and with the scissors, trimmed a sliver off the protector and all was good.

The protector itself is excellent. It has a beautiful matte surface, as good as the factory one. If/when I do this again, I'll use the original protector again as a template, but this time I'll look at maybe trimming just a little off the long and short edge of the new protector, to give me some room for error when laying down the protector. So if your screen is looking somewhat manky, this screen protector will definitely bring back what you've been missing.