Official GIGABYTE Forum

aivia osmium keyboard problems

aivia osmium keyboard problems
« on: September 05, 2012, 01:52:07 am »
ok so when i shut down my pc my keyboard lights all stay on and when i boot the system i cant access my bios, unless i connect my keyboard to a diff usb slot that hasn't load the drivers in windows

i contacted gigabyte support and was told due to the motherboard supports keyboard/mouse wake up feature, thus, power supply will keep providing 5V STB power to the device even when system is power-off. If you want to turn off the light on keyboard, please switch off the keyboard light manually before you shut down the computer.

no response on not being able to get into my bios
i have also been told i should b able to solve the problem in bios some how
motherboard is GA-X58A-UD3R rev2

i mean really they are same brand i don't see why there is a conflict and why there isn't a solution
any thoughts or should i send the keyboard back

Re: aivia osmium keyboard problems
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 08:09:46 am »
I have had this happen twice since I've owned the Aivia Osmium, but on all other occasions the backlight has switched off automatically. Most motherboards still provide power to USB when switched off to support wake from USB. However I think the keyboard should be able to detect the shutdown and switch off the backlight. It would seem that, depending on your system/configuration, this does not always happen. On at least one of the occasions it happened to me, Windows was installing updates during the shutdown, which may be a factor.

My previous backlit keyboard, the BlackWidow Ultimate, never left the backlit on and so it would seem that the issue is with the shutdown logic/detection on the Gigabyte. When it happens the only workarounds are; switch of your PC at the PSU or socket, or to disconnect and reconnect the keyboard.

Hopefully this can be fixed with a firmware update. Do Gigabyte tech support read this forum?

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 12:11:23 pm »
Hi

Yes the techs do go on the forum but not as a regular basis and so they can't be expected to read every post that is there. If you want technical support you should contact GGTS.

Just enter your email address and click on the language of choice. For the UK:

GGTS   http://ggts.gigabyte.com/

http://uk.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/support-downloads.aspx

Please expect several days for a reply.

Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

SLI-756

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 12:26:49 pm »
Hi, i just ordered one for delivery tomorrow, i don't use the 5w standby power thingy so i'm hoping for a hassle free install, anyways i'll keep ya'll informed.  :)
I use gigabyte mobo so i'm hoping for the best.  :P
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 12:27:48 pm by SLI-756 »

SLI-756

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 02:52:16 pm »
Been using the keyboard a few days now, absolutely delighted with it, my first mechanical keyboard, i'm looking for a new mouse now too so i'll probably go for the gigabyte Krypton as that's from the 'Aivia' series also.

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 02:08:00 pm »
Well after several weeks of waiting I get the following reply from tech support.

Sorry for the late reply.

Please help to check if you can use Osmium in other devices, the situation is occur again or not.

Would this be a single keyboard issue?

Hmmm....

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 11:32:12 pm »
Well after another week Gigabyte Support actually came up with a solution.

They suggested locating the ErP/EuP Ready setting in the BIOS and changing it to Enable. From what I have read this allows the motherboard to drop into a very low power standby mode when switched off which effectely cuts power to the USB ports.

Since enabling this I have not had the backlight remain on after switch off and I have not experienced any other side effects.

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 06:34:03 pm »
Hello,

I´m using an osmium keyboard, and I´m wondering how to use the "media player" keys on the F1 to F4 keys ?

The fn key near the alt key does not seems to work. At least it have no effect for example with winamp.

thank you.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 06:39:56 pm by bulubuluplopplop »

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 01:08:46 pm »
Hello,

I´m using an osmium keyboard, and I´m wondering how to use the "media player" keys on the F1 to F4 keys ?

The fn key near the alt key does not seems to work. At least it have no effect for example with winamp.

thank you.

I have the exact same problem with the keyboard, an absolute waste of money, should have kept my razer blackwidow over this junk.